1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I need to adjust my truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve21, Apr 30, 2006.

1. steve21

steve21 Banned

After not having played my SR506 in a while (I Kept it in its case against my balcony window) I took it out and noticed the action was kinda high. I looked at the neck and I think it might be a bit too forward bowed, but I'm nothing near an expert, so I took some pictures. Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it is too forward bowed, will it fix it if I use the "Put it on the ground with one leg in the front of it, your knee against the back, and gently pushing the headstock back while turning the truss rod clockwise" thing?

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    There are some links on setup. Capo the 1st fret. Fret the last fret. Slide a feeler gauge in between the E string (or B string) and the ninth fret with the bass sitting on your lap as you would normally play it. 0.020" is on the high side. 0.010" is on the low side. Assuming it is on the high side in your case, tighten the truss rod 1/4 turn at a time.

Dave

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

What can I use instead of a capo? I don't have one.

And what exactly do you mean by a feeler gauge? A ruler?

And tightening is a clockwise turn, right?

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    A cheap capo is all you need. Otherswise get a second set of hands to fret the first fret for you.

I am guessing you do not own feeler gauges either. They are precision pieces of sheet metal that are a specfic thickness (0.001" increments typically in a sec). You buy them at a hardware store. They are typically a set of 50 or so that are all connected together with a screw and they fan out so you can choose the one of appropriate thickness. They are used to measure the gap of a spark plug among other things.

Righty it usually tighty. 1/4 at a turn until you are sure. You also need to help the neck along when you tighten the truss rod by apply back bow pressure to the neck.

Given your questions. It might be worth $30 to go to a repair shop and watch what they do.

Dave

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

I dont' have the feeler gauges, but if it works the same as a ruler, I got between .0625-.0125 or so, so it should be okay?

I think I'll till take it in to a shop though... too bad I'm not happy with any of the ones near me :meh:

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    A ruler is not what you want. You need a set of precision feeler gauges. A set can be had for $5. They are roughly 1/4" x 1" pieces of sheet metal that slide into tight spaces or gaps. You can tell the width of the gap by noting which size of gauge barely slips in without making contact.

Dave