Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FERNDOGG, Sep 8, 2004.

Jun 30, 2004
    I just recieved my new Lakland Joe Osborne Skyline series bass, a beauty....... anyway, it came to me with very nice action...... was tuned probably a half step or whole step down, I then tuned it to standard tuning, which made the action a little higher, which is acceptable, considering that I tend to play pretty hard...... should I still consider adjustments at all? also, is it neccesary to make similiar adjustments after changing strings?....... any input would really help [mentally] :D
  2. Is it "acceptable" or is it good for you? I like my action a bit higher than the average bear, so what is unacceptable to many is great for me. "Normal" action is acceptable to me, but I prefer it higher.
  3. In my humble opinion, you should adjust the truss rod if you think there is a noticeable bow. Nothing plays as nicely as a bass with a straight neck. You can then adjust the string height to your liking. One man's straight is another man's bow though, so it's up to you.

Jun 30, 2004
    rather than search thru endless threads 'bout truss rods..... do you need to loosen strings or do anything before adjusting truss rod?, or do you just go ahead and do it w/ strings tuned already?...... I know you'll have to re-tune and all after adjustment, and use a 1/4 turn, let sit over night to settle in before checking again........ :meh: just wondering.....
  5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I loosen the strings if straightening the neck (tightening)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If tightening, I always loosen the strings first.