Do I need to "break-in" a new amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SGriff2311, Mar 25, 2003.

1. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003
    I just got a Behringer BX-600 (60 watts, 12"). I need to know whether or not there is any "breaking-in" I need to do with it before I do anything too crazy. Do I need to keep it low volume? How low and for how long? Also, some general amp do's and don't's would be appreciated as I haven't owned an amp before. Thanks.
  2. SGriff2311

Feb 17, 2003
    Also, a really stupid question... is it OK to sit on an amp of this size?
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    No need to break it in. I read some seemingly reliable info in a similar thread (too lazy to search) that said as much. Crank up that biotch!

I don't know about the sitting thing but I'd guess you are better safe than sorry.
  4. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I can't see how sitting on it would cause any problems. The cab's probably made of *at least* 1/2" ply, which, in a small amp, should be more than strong enough to support your weight.
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You don't need to break in an amp.

In fact, with some low-quality brands, any time the amp spends turned on may end up detracting from its longevity. ;)
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i sit on my amp all the time, but i hear a different tone than people in front of the amp. Its weird.
  7. That's about the only thing I like better about my practice amp than my gig rig other than portability...It's a Fender BXR-60 (60w, 1x12", similar to yours), very sturdy. I sit on it all the time, I've stood on it on numerous occasions, jumped recklessly off... I have girls sit on it from time to time as well and the feedback is generally positive :p Unless you're a REALLY big guy, don't worry about it.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That may be the thread I posted asking about breaking in new speakers. The general consensus was that it wasn't necessary, but the speaker will losen up over time. Apparently the sound will not change significantly as the speaker losens so don't worry about it.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    You dont have to break it in, but if you want you can play for a few hours up high(ish) (7 or 8) and get the feel for your amp, and realise what your amp sounds like, and what it can do.

Any amp is safe to sit on. just dont stand on it and jump up and down. ;)