1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need to change strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jkk17, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    [FIXED]
    Hi, so I am basically a noob when it comes to knowing what the problem in
    my bass is, and I am getting this sound (check video) on the A string. Do I need to change strings or does it have to do with the bridge? Recently I have been playing the for whom the bell tolls and I do some bending there, does it have to do with that? Should I stop bending?

BTW, I think you need to get the volume up because the video iisnt very loud! Thanks

Link:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Personal choice. Some bassists leave them on for years... others change them on a regular basis. If they sound good, leave 'em on. If they don't, change 'em out. I wouldn't worry about bending.

Catbuster, Ggaa, Low84 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I would say raise your action little bit. It sounds pretty buzzy and my guess is the string is slapping on some frets.

4. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    But if you watch the video , you will see that awkward and bad sounding sound , do you think it has to do with the string?

5. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    The thing is that it only started happening some days ago , and I have the bass for months.Do you think its normal?

6. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Yes. I would change the whole set.

Jkk17 likes this.
  7. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    It's not the string. The weather changes and the neck moves. It needs adjusting to compensate.

8. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Fixed it , it had to do with the action! I'm so dumb xD . Thank you all anyways

9. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...respectfully, this is unlikely, unless you live in a high-humidity or especially dry environment.

Jkk17 likes this.
  10. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...not dumb at all. Happy you solved the problem.

Jkk17 likes this.
  11. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thank you , I'm ready to give it some more sweat xD

dramatwist likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

See post directly above yours, my guess is the saddle settled.

cheapbasslovin, mcnach and Jkk17 like this.
  13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Excellent!
    P.S. You ain't dumb.

Jkk17 likes this.
  14. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    Good job fixing it. Here's a little tip. After you set the bass up properly, and the relief and string heights are set the way you like it, when the weather changes and your bass does not play/sound like it use too, you'll only have to adjust the truss rod to fix it.

15. I was just going to suggest checking the neck relief. One of those maintenance things that should be checked periodically like the tire pressures on your car.

Simple seasonal changes can often affect the way the neck responds. In fact, I just finished tweaking the truss rod on two basses belonging my fellow bassists at church.

16. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...whatever works for you, @michael_t. Cheers.

Jkk17 likes this.
  17. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Some people live in high humidity environments.

Jkk17, dramatwist, BOOG and 1 other person like this.
  18. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    upload_2019-10-16_15-29-5.

Machiavelli and tindrum like this.
  19. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    It can happen a few months after moving a bass or guitar into a new house. You've fixed the problem by raising the action, but that's maybe not the best way to fix it. The action could be too high now. I had the same problem happen a few months after taking my bass to keep at my girlfriend's. The buzz was only when playing on the first fret. I asked about it in a shop. He said it was the neck straightening in the new heat and would be fixed by loosening the truss rod. He was right. Check your action against a tutorial on setups. Is it too high? Is that one saddle now higher than the D string saddle? Did the buzz only happen on the lower frets? If so, put the action back down and slacken the middle two strings enough to turn the truss rod nut by 1/4. Tune the strings again and let the neck settle for a few days. I had to do that twice to stop the buzz altogether. A little is OK if it doesn't deaden the note. After the adjustment I had to raise the action on the G string to stop it deadening on the 12th fret. That saddle was lower than the others before adjustment, and the same height as the E afterwards. You will need an Allen key, 4-6mm or so.

You might be best taking the bass to a shop, if you're unsure if the adjustments. Did you buy it from a shop?

Jkk17 likes this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

Jkk17 likes this.