Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need to cut a hole...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

In my Gundorf case for the side fan of my Mesa 400+? There is about an inch clearance all down the sides, but is there enough air flow? There are also top vents that get completely blocked

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I presume if you asked Mesa about it, they would recommend cutting a hole. If there is an inch in front of the fan and empty space above and under the amp, I guess you are safe. And the top vents should also have some clearance.

3. Maybe it's just a stupid presumption on my part, but one would think that a manufacuter who makes rack mount units would engineer them to be used in a rack. We all know what a rack is and so does Mesa. If they say it's a rackmount unit, I'd take them at their word, put it in my rack and not try to re-engineer the thing.

4. What I have done in the past in a similar siruation is, rather than 1 big hole, I drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in the appropriate place. This gives ventilation AND protection.