Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do I need to do some specical setup of the bass for tapping?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Sep 10, 2000.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I want to play some bass tapping now,I use a fender jazz bass.and I think that I can't get the tapping sound of this bass.so I want to have a answer about that.
    1.do I need to do some specical setting for tapping bass??
    any answer about that??
    2.Is it the jazz bass not suitable for tapping??
    Thanks!!
    And I will buy a new bass soon.it is a Yamaha RBX John Myung model,hope I can get a good tapping sound of that bass!!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    An ideal tapping setup would comprise low action with very little relief in the neck. If it's properly set up, you can tap just fine on a standard Jazz Bass.

3. Yeah, a Jazz works fine for tapping. Mine is set up medium-low with just a bit of relief. Sounds buzzy when I'm doing it, but it records/amplifies clean.

4. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    It's hard for me to get an audible tone out of my speaker while tapping other then a THUD Help......

5. I will only add to this light guage strings help and set the amp volume a little higher