Do I need to finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Apr 2, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I was just looking at my Squier strat and noticing some cracks along the body. I can't feel them so I don't know whats up with that. And I'm thinking it might be do to the fact that last summer I shaved it (it used to be jet black and now its whatever color the crappy wood is). Is this going to present any kind of severe problems in the future? If so what should I do about it?
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think you shoudlnt of shaved it back. Did you do it yourself or was it a pro? You either need a new neck, or you need to get someone to fill the cracks, because even though you cant feel the cracks, it is cracked under the finish. So I think you would need either
    A) a new neck OR
    B) a finish on the neck because if you leave it the way it is, it will only get worse and worse.
  3. Wood expands and contracts with the weather. Your bass is somewhat untreated now you've stripped it back to the wood grain.

If the cracks annoy you, try putting some woodfiller in there. I would also refinish the bass to lock out any moisture that could get into it.

This would get a better response in Setup ;)

4. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I shaved the guitar myself with sandpaper. The cracks that I see in the body I can't feel and when I put carnuba wax on it, nothing changes. Where might I obtain the right stuff to "finish the guitar"? I only spent one hundred on it so I'm not about to buy a new body...What's is the most inexpensive and effective solution?
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm moving this to set up.