Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need to have pickups custom made? Strange size....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emjazz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just got a used F Bass BN6. Great bass. I'm very pleased. I want different pickups. I want to have dual coils put in the bass (side by side coils, not stacked coils like the F has already). The problem is that the pickup size is 1.25" x 5". I found on the Bartolini website that their P5 pickups were the same size.....it turns out that they don't offer that size any longer, they just don't update their site. I'm not stuck on Bartoini's it's just that I had hoped for them to have something that I could get that wasn't a custom job.

So, where can I get dual coils that are that size? Is my only option to have them custom made? I'd love to have Duncun make me some dual coils but I hear that can be a challenge. I've considered Carey's pickups but I'd want a different wire than he uses. Anyone know if he'll do that? (I guess I should just contact him myself about that.....). Anyway, some ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

2. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Damnn, im gunna need to check this bass out! And i have no idea.

-JR

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ha!!!! I was wondering how to get in touch with you. Not sure I have your number still JohnRyan. Shoot me an email will ya! emjazz@hotmail.com. I'm swing down sometime with the F Bass!!!! :bassist: This thing smokes!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I emailed Carey but with NAMM coming up it may take some time to get a resoponse. I'm in no rush.

Anyone have any thoughts?