Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need to Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Ok, if I were to get an Ampeg SVT-4Pro or -5Pro, but nothing else to put in a rack, would I have to mount the SVT into a rack, or could it just sit on top of my cab (I have no experience with rackmounting)? Thanks for your help!

Corey

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You don't HAVE to persay, but it's still a decent idea to. Mostly just for protection if you know you'll never get anything else to rack. But also it can be cool for if you ever decide to get like a wireless, then a power conditioner (which I reccomend you do, anyway) and rack FXs etc. I've gotten into the habit of racking everything... it's also easier to carry, IMO, cos you have handles then. I think it's just a good idea all around. But, you don't have to :p.

-Ray

3. You don't have to put it in a rack. The rack police aren't gonna come haul you off to rack jail or anything, but racking it will protect it from bumps and bruises and probably make it easier to transport.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yeah its just for protection, especially with those rack ears, since they tend to be the first to get bent up. you might want to consider a rack bag, if you think its light enough to sling over a shoulder.

5. Oooh, a rack bag is an excellent idea. I forgot about those. I have my 400RB in a rack bag and it's damned convenient.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Rack it. Chances are at some point an alchoholic guitarist will decide to use your amp head as a beer holder.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i don't think i'd sling a 40lb amp over my shoulder... :bassist:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

the SKB 2 space, 19" deep rack is much lighter than most any rack bag i've used.

also, it should go without saying, but for most anything that's used for gigging, protection is a must.

9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    :D

10. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Just to note: Power conditioners are USELESS for power amps (not sure if it applys to pre/combos)

Your just adding more line the flow of electrons has to go through, and gaining nothing in doing so.

11. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    It's always nice for the spike protection and noise filtering...right?

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Considering that electrons flow much faster than the speed of sound, I doubt we are going to here any sonic differences when using a PC...

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Uhm, what? Do you know what a power conditioner is, and what it does? :confused:

-Ray

14. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

most decent amps have that all built in/ would matter.

look at the cable that came with your amp. nice low gauage - thing cabling. Then look at what comes on most conditioners; wimpy comared to the amp cable, eh?

It's that way for a reason.

15. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm gonna say this as politely as possible, your full of ****.

Amp cable is not really that thick, cut one in half and you'll see three much much smaller wires, probably close to the same size as what is inside a power conditioner. Trust me, no manufacturer would release a product with inadaquate wiring, it's a fire hazard and would lead to serious lawsuits.

Edit: Also, point out one amp that has spike protection and RFI filtering, btw, that little 15 amp slow blow fuse is hardly spike protection...

16. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    first, the amps DONT CARE about how clean the ac is, as long as their's lots of it.

It all gets converted to dc.

If anything, something alomg the lines of Motions Labs' RacPac would be best, with dedicated breaks twistlock connectors. Then again, I've seen very few clubs with the proper tie-ins.

oh, and some "Power conditions" use MOV's that's a fire hazard right their.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And what about when there's only 100V, or even 95V present instead of 120V? You laugh, but I've played at clubs when my voltage meter would bounce between 95 and 100V - NOT good. And, what about when that voltage jumps up to say 140V? Again, not good at all. Seriously, don't listen to this guy... even if you just buy it on the sole principal of surge protection, it's a good investment. I'd *much* rather have the conditioner blow than my amp...

-Ray

18. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I sure as hell do...

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :smug:

-Ray

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    yeah...EMI and RFI filtering....flourescent lighting and "dirty" club a/c can be a mofo to your signal.... and unless you've a/b with and without conditioning, you don't know what you don't know