1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

do i need to rebias?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Apr 28, 2006.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    the tone is sounding very dead on my svt cl, i've had it for about five years or so and am thinking about replacing the pre-amp tubes. if i do this but keep the power tubes the same do i need to have it rebiased?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    not if you replace preamp tubes, but you are probably in need of power amp tubes. They take more abuse than the preamp tubes do.

3. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    5 years is a long time to go on power amp tubes. If you play for more than a couple of hours a week it's time for a retube.

However you don't have to touch the bias if you are just changing preamp tubes.

4. preamp valves (supposadly) last 10 years before they begin to deminish. Even then, you can still get plenty more out of them.
    you can do a search on preamp valves and find plenty info.

if your power valves have had a lot of use (commonly referred to a abuse) then you're probably due change.

alas, to ans your Q, changing the pre valves, AFAIK, will not effect the biasing.