Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do I need to recut the nut slots (pics)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by PB+J, Mar 6, 2006.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Do I need to widen the nut slots?

I'm thinking no, but hoping yes, because it gives me an excuse for bad playing

Strignsare velvet animas, bass is a 7/8 Shen willow flatback

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Looks good to me, what syptoms are you having?

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    No real symptoms, just wondering if it could be a little more easy playing. i don't notice anything wrong, but the animas are significantly bigger than the spiros that were on the bass when I got it.

4. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Looks like them strings would play quite well, seems they're pretty low. Mine are a bit higher, but then, I play guts...

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey PB+J-Those are some real clear pics! How'd you do that? You can tell from my Quality thread that my camera skills are not up to my gluing ones. Any hints?

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Yeah, I'm a whiner. I had a long gig the other night and we played "the sidewinder," the Lee Morgan tune, for what seemed like a hundred choruses. Basically the bass holds that tune together by doing a lot of vamping on Bb E Eb, and my index finger was killing me. Also I think the guitar was tuned flat, as I kept having to be closer to the nut than I should have been. Finally switched to second position and it was much better

I used a Canon S2Is, which is a good camera, but I used the "macro" button--I'll bet your digital camera has a "macro" feature that lets it focus close. Nice that it has a button--our old camera had a macro setting but you could only access it through a complicated menu tree.

7. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Is that a Shen Willow Bass? I would know that beautiful neck anywhere! heh