Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I need to replace my volume pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Aug 19, 2003.

1. My Fender Jazz's bridge pickup died. I opened it up and sprayed some compressed air on the volume pot and it worked for a day. Now it's dead. The wires look like they are soldered properly.

When I play with the neck pickup alone, it sounds normal. When I use the bridge pickup solo or both pickups on maximum (hum cancelling), I get almost no output (maybe 5%).

Just want a second opinion and some answers...

- Is my bridge volume pot dead?
    - What are some good, reliable replacements pots and where can I get them.

Stew-Mac said that their 250k pots can be used for volume or tone, guitar or bass. Should I buy some pots from them?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    As an experiment, you could try wiring the pickup leads directly to the output jack to be certain that this pickup isn't the problem... Heaven forbid I should suggest this as a tone enhancer!! :D

I've had good luck with StewMac pots and wiring kits in the past... no complaints...

Good Luck!

-robert

3. How would I do that? There's a black wire and a white wire from the pickup but only one wire going to the output jack. Unfortunately, I don't know jack-all about even basic electronics. I do have the wiring diagram from Mr. Gearhead though.