Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do I need to strip ALL of my old finish off??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rekesbass, Jun 24, 2001.

1. o.k....I'm gonna paint my bass(someone else is actually,but I have to do all the prep work) and was wondering if I had to remove ALL of the old finish..I went to search and found some good info.but not exatly what I was lookin for..so lets start here..it's a fender jazz bass special(circa 80's japanese made)it's pearl white with some scratches and dents and it's dingy lookin..I plan to paint it black and use PPG harlequin (an automotive paint) to make it change color(any autobody guy's out there will know what I'm talkin about..this stuff is cool)what I need to know is,do I need to remove all of the old finish down to bare wood or can I just sand the existing paint down and make it smooth and "glass like" and paint over it?? any info will help....I know there are some "pros" out there that have done this before so please drop a line here I'm dyin to get this project goin......thanx in advance :)

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Not a pro, but I will tell you that if the original finish has a different chemical composition than the PPG paint, your best bet is to strip and sand the body clean. That will help avoid any weird interaction between the two.

3. Gary is right about the possibility of incompatability between finishes. But in this case I don't think you'll have a problem. The PPG paint is a catalyst hardened acrylic polyurethane while the Fender finish is a polyester. You SHOULD try the finish in a discreet spot, say before you begin the sanding process, to make sure. You don't even have to mix the paint to see if it will work - just brush on some of the reducer that is used with the PPG paint and let it stay on the surface until it dries. If you get some curdling, you'll have to totally strip the body. If not you're in the clear.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A primer coat would need to be applied before the final finish to elimenate the scratches and create a uniform base coat so you really need to be concerned with the primer that you use being compatible with the original finish.

By the way, you have a super idea for a finish. Hope you can get some pix up that does the job justice. It should be beautiful.

Pkr2

5. thanx for your replies....just to be safe I think I'll remove the old finish completely..ppg harlequin is EXPENSIVE stuff, but it will be worth it in the end..and I will try to get some pics but I'm not sure it will do it justice,harlequin is one of those paints that changes color when you move around it, or it moves around you..a still shot might not work..but I'll still try..thanx again for your replies

6. Reke, you can shoot that bass all day long and I doubt you'll ever come up with a pic that truly does it justice. I think that part of the paints look is derived from movement - even subtle motion - to get the paint to reflect and refract well enough for viewing. I had to photograph a friends race car that was painted with this stuff. We took it into bright sunlight to get the best reflection and no matter which angle I used, it still photographed like a blue car :rolleyes: Maybe some of problem can be traced to the fact that our eyes are set in different locations (well, some of us) and the spacing helps create the prismatic affect we see.

Good luck!

7. hambone,you are correct sir.....I agree, a still shot most likely NOT work but I'll try anyway....the worst that can happen is I'll be out a few bucks in film and have 26 pictures of my bass(which is something I never had before)maybe I can find someone with a digital camcorder and put up a fancy animated gif,but don't hold yer breath....my girlfriends father built a hotrod with ppg harliquen paint job and at least twice a week someone stops to ask what color his car is(thats so cool) lucky me I get his leftover paint and he's gonna spray it for me too...I just wish I did'nt have to do ALL that sanding myself..but a small price to pay..till next time..................................................later