1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I put two 410 one on top of the other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Banana_phone, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Do I? Or do I put them side by side?:confused:

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    on top

3. Thanks for the quick answer bambibabe.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    On top or buy a 45 ft speakon.

5. +1 on top- then U got 'em up near ear level & is best for hearing yrself w/out HAVING to be superloud-unless U wanna be! :)

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Honestly, I think that it depends. If you want to be able to hear your rig shooting out thunderous lows without the aid of monitor reinforcement, stacking them on top of each other is best (and IMO looks coolest). But you will get maximum ground-shaking tone if you've got them side by side on the floor as they will couple better with the floor (unless that's not what you are after).

Personally, I usually stack my cabs (two 2x12's) on top of each other if for no other reason than it looks more intimidating than my guitarist's little 2x12 combo amp :bassist: unless there is a height restriction for something behind you that needs to be seen (happens sometimes).

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah. i would stack 'em. my two stacked V4 (4x12) cabs intimidate the heck out of some guitar players ;)......and chicks dig it too.

v4b-stack-1.

8. what about getting a long speaker cable and putting them on opposite sides of the stage?

i've never tried it, but i might consider it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know some guys do that and they like it I guess, but I think it sounds way better to stack your cabs and keep them together. The other way just annoys people in your band on the other side of the stage.

10. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    i tryed putting 1 either side of the drummer in a gig with a pretty large stage

now that was AWESOME i could walk (boogey!) anywhere on stage and hear my bass.

Never had a problem like JimmyM has described about it annoying band members, i really dont get how or why that should happen, my guitar player loved it!

smaller staged gigs i put one on top of the other though, and i think i prefer the sound i get that way.

still LOVED having a cab either side of the drummer, maybe an 8X10 on either side of him (*drool*)!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have one guy in our band who would like it, and three that would beat me about the face and upper body.

12. If you have the cabs side by side and apart, you are introducing phase issues, and there are going to be places in the crowd & stage where that is constructive (louder) and destructive (almost non-existant).

Stack them (also brings it closer to ear level, unless you are a midget)

13. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If you can get them far enough apart, there will be no cancellation issues. For subs, it something like '53 feet. High 40's for bass cabs would probably do it. It comes down to the wavelength of the lowest note that you will be playing.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    In the low end two cabs mutually couple, acting as one source, so their position will have no influence on boundary reinforcement. Side by side or stacked the low end response will be identical. However, midrange dispersion is inversely proportional to the width of the source, so a side by side placement will have half the midrange dispersion as stacked.
    Read this. http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_search_of_the_power_alley/

15. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    It's little person.

16. Wavelength = phase speed/frequency
    phase speed of sound in air (room temp) is about 340m/s.
    Go by the lowest of the low, 40Hz
    340/40 = 8.5m (27.9 feet). So 30 feet would be enough?

I still fail to see why there wouldnt be coupling . . .

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    This is a strategy I've used in three-piece bands whose guitarist also placed a matching cab on both sides of the stage.

The result was a low budget wall-of-sound which was useful when using a vocal-only PA, especially on wider stages and in odd-shaped rooms.

For narrow stages and symmetrical rooms, stacking the bass and guitar cabs on their own side of the stage worked better.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Coupling requires the sources be less than a quarter-wavelength apart.

19. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    You have got to stop playing all the wrong notes Jimmy... :D

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Now lets hit a note around 100HZ and you'll need to put the cabs on roller skates and spin them in to about 7 feet, this show would be pretty interesting. I'd pay to see it. :hyper:

BOB