1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do i really need a 4+10 cabinet ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by odin70, Dec 21, 2011.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I need help.. Cant decide if i should keep my GK 4+10 or sell it. I also have one neo 1+12 cabinet and for most gigs (if not all) it works really well. Can a (striving to be) pro bass player live with only one 12" cabinet?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Depends. Do you have PA support for any large* gigs that pop up? In my experiences, 4x10's are the standard for most bar/club gigs that provide no PA support for bass. It'd probably be worth keeping around for those if you ever plan on gigging. Also, I don't think GK cabs usually sell for that much, so you'd probably be better off keeping it regardless.

3. he asked if he needed a 4+10 not 4x10. That"s an unusual combination. :)

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    No. There are lots of 2x12s that will do as much or more than a 4x10 but you can carry them in one hand.

5. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    This is a very reasonable answer and what I would do.

Your other option is to sell the 4x10 and buy a second 1x12 (or even a third if your amp supports that). You'll lose money, but gain more even sound distribution with the 12s stacked.

I can relate. I have a big stack that's gathering dust because I can do all my gigs with a 1x15 combo. If I wouldn't be losing money big time on the cabs I'd sell them.

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    :)

7. If you never need anything bigger than the NEO 112, then it's logical to sell the 410.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sell the 4X10 and pick up a 2nd 1X12.

I haven't had a 4X10 for years, and I'm doing just fine.

9. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    it's 4+10 not 4x10 ..learn to read

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm with you OP... I have 2 GK NEO 115s & thats as much as a 410, probably more... two 12s should be fine!

11. I agree, if you plan on doing anything more than coffee shop type smaller gigs then it is worth hanging on to the 4x10. If you have full PA support then it generally it does not matter as much what cab you are using. However for those bigger gigs and especially those who do not provide PA support a 4x10 (or more) would for sure be a better cab to have. It's up to you though in the end what you want to do.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Two 115s suit me best. A 112 would be nice for the smallest gigs, though.

13. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Do you ever play outside? A single 12 wont do much.

14. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I agree on the adding another neo 112 , and let the 4x10 go

15. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Very rarely, but if i do its either upright (low volume) gigs or electric with full PA

Thanks for your thoughts companeros!

I think i will go for the 2 112 solution.

16. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I have full PA support all the time and I use a 4x10. But that is simply vanity since it is really used as a monitor for me onstage. If you have PA support, and your use is as mine, then a 1x12 should be enough. Add a 2nd 1x12 when you can for times when you need something larger.

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's what I have. Two good 112's get plenty loud, especially if you eq them right and stack'em vertically.

:ninja:

18. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    i just sold my Epi 410 (a great cab) with plans to add a second 112. I found that I almost never really needed the 410, and the single 112 was absolutely perfect for my jazz gigs and other "quiet" gigs and rehearsals.