Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I really need a DI ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 11, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Within the last month I traded my BossEQ20 (+ cash) for a programmable SABDDI. The main reason I did this is because the eq20 doesnt have a di. I am really missing the versatility of the eq20 and I was thinking maybe i could try to get it back. It was a great unit even though its not designed as a preamp it works very well as one. Question is do i really need the di of the sabddi? Almost all venues in my area have pa support. SMASH has said (if i remember correctly) that most soundmen would insist on using their units anyway. So maybe I dont have to worry about the di issue?

2. Just try and compare the sounds of the 2 (if you can) and use whichever sounds right for you - having a DI is pretty handy for recording and any "just in case the amp blows at a gig" scenario. However a soundman will virtually never let you plug straight into the desk using an effects processor unless you have that DI'ed - so choose which you prefer and stick with it, you can always find a cheap DI box on ebay if you prefer the EQ20 thing...

...of course others know more than me but thats my experience - the bottom line is to get the bass to the desk sounding good, use the EQ20 if thats what it takes, or the sansamp thing if that sounds better...

3. Here are some of my thoughts -

"Within the last month I traded my BossEQ20 (+ cash) for a programmable SABDDI. The main reason I did this is because the eq20 doesnt have a di." - What were you using as a DI before you traded in the BOSS EQ20? Did you play out at clubs and or recording studios? Chances are that most clubs and bars have their own DI boxes.

"I am really missing the versatility of the eq20 and I was thinking maybe i could try to get it back." - Seeing as you're missing the unit, I would try to get it back if I were you.

"It was a great unit even though its not designed as a preamp it works very well as one." - Hey, if it works for you then keep using it. A sound man (or yourself) can simply put a DI infront of your bass input or after your EQ20 output.

"Question is do i really need the di of the sabddi? Almost all venues in my area have pa support." - I believe that every place I have ever played had some sort of DI box. But that is taking a chance,... your sort of screwed bacause you probably won't be able to send your signal to the PA if they don't have a DI. If you want to be 100% sure, carry your own DI. And 99.9% you won't need it.

"SMASH has said (if i remember correctly) that most soundmen would insist on using their units anyway. So maybe I dont have to worry about the di issue?" - I have built in DIs on my amps (SWR Workingman 12 combo and SWR SM900 Amp Head) and most sound man want to use those, but they always come over to the amp with a DI box in hand, and then take it back after plugging the XLR into the back of my amp.

My opinion - If you miss the EQ20 then get it back. If you need a DI later on then I would suggest getting a straight simple DI box that won't change your tone, but will simply take your sound and send the proper signal to the PA or recording console.

Hope that helps,

Benner

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think everyone should carry a DI. It doesn't have to be fancy, but you never know when it may save your butt. I have a Radial JDI that seems to work really well. I use it all the time to split the signal from my PodXT - one for my stage amp and one for the FOH.

5. I got the sansamp BDDI for the sound it created, not for the sake it was a DI, if you prefer the sound of the BDDI, thats cool, but if you prefer the sound of the boss maybe you should get it back and use the cash to buy an ordinary DI ?

6. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I played a lot of big clubs and outdoor shows for a long time, and came to the conclusion that a great DI is far more important that a great amp. At least for me.

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    If you miss your Boss EQ20 that much, than get another one. I feel it's better to happy with your stage tone first, you can always get a DI box to carry in a gig bag just in case. I have a Country Man DI that has never been used because sound techs have always wanted to use theirs. But, you never know, better to be prepared.