Do I REALLY need lessons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gram, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    Alright im 14 and just got my first bass for christmas, I currently dont have time for lessons as I am playing 2 sports, but my sports end in march, so i suppose i could start takein some lessons then...............So ur thoughts if I really need lessons, I am willing to get them but I would like to know if I need them. And since I cant get lessons till March can u tell me some things I can learn on my own until then?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lessons arent essential but they help. It is possible to get by without them if you have self motivation and will put the effort into buying books and reading online sources to learn.
  3. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    I dont suppose u could show me these "online sources" u speak of
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    or i believe it is, that has online bass lessons, but this forum is VERY helpful...
  6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Lessons are a really good idea.
    I started bass at 14 and took lessons right off the bat, it really helped me to get ahead fast. I became a professional bassist at 18, and I still am one now (26 years later).

LM :bassist:
  7. Of course you don't. You can more than get by without them. But it's good to get a teacher to make sure you're on the right track and not making improtant mistakes that can hurt you later on (getting used to using only a few fretting fingers, poor thumb position causing pain, etc). I think in the meantime, just have fun and get used to the bass. Get used to it, get comfortable. Go see a teacher when you can and have him examine your technique, etc, and have him suggest thigns to learn and try. It's always good to stimulate your creative and theoretical side.
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    If you can find a good teacher then go for it.

I myself is 14 and started taking lessons a half year ago
    and cant say i learned much, my teacher is a guitarist who "can play bass a little"
    so you can figure out the rest..

Have fun with your bass... !! :bassist:
  9. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    If you have the opportunity to go take lessons then by all means you should. You can get by for a while without taking lessons but since you have an opportunity too, you should.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I would say go for it. You never know when you start, but you might end up wanting to be a pro player, and it's a lot easier to do this if you've had lessons. I sure as hell didn't know when I started when I was 14, but next year I'm applying to Humber College for music and I know I'm going to be a pro musician for the rest of my life. I wasn't able to have lessons for the first six months of my playing, and except for one summer since then, I've had them once a week almost religiously.

Go for it.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It will take a great deal more time and effort to teach yourself and just "wing it" than to take lessons. Let's put it this way... If you take lessons it will take you a year to get to where self taught players get in 5 years. Just my opinion of course. I took lessons for about the first 5 months then was self taught beyond that. At LEAST get lessons for the basic physical aspects of playing so you won't develop bad habits or technique that will hold you back for years.
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well after 25 years of playing and never a lesson, I only have 1 thing to say about lessons. TAKE THEM!!! There is so much to learn and know and experience through lessons. Self taught is a feel and a touch, but lessons will help fill in where all else falls short. Learning scales and keys and knowing them is very important if you ever plan to anything more than replay someone elses music. If you hook up with equally talented guitar players, those lessons will make the difference.. TAKE THE LESSONS WHILE YOU CAN :bassist:
  13. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Lessons, yes, take 'em.

While I taught myself the mechanics of playing by watching/listening to other players (and I admit that if I had taken proper bass lessons, I probably would have progressed more quickly than by myself, but at the same time I'm proud of what I've acheived), I do have formal instruction in music theory. Once you learn theory you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
  14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have been playing off and on about 2 years now. While I think i'm technicaly decent, I don't know a dam thing about structure.

I jammed with a guitar player the other day and he asked me what key I wanted to play im, and I didn't know what he was talking about. I have never heard that before.

So I think I need music lessons other then the actual bass lessons. That way I don't feel like a moron when I play with someone.
  15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I highly recommend lessons to players of all levels. Unfortunately, I'm currently not taking lessons due to time constraints. However, I can tell you that the lessons that I have taken through the years have made a huge impact on my playing.

You can enjoy bass without lessons. However, if you are short on time, then the practice time required to gain proficiency in the instrument will be much greater without lessons. Instruction will help you make the most of your time with your instrument.
  16. Lessons aren't essential, but they do indeed help, as Figjam said. However, I have jumped 3 grades, and that's without lessons, so I spose they arent the most important thing ever.
  17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's interesting that you talk about playing sports, cause that's a good way to think of it. If you ask the question- Do I need a coach if I want to play football? - the answer kiond of depends on how you answer the question - What kind of player do I want to be? You'll notice that most folks involved in sports who want to pursue it as an opportunity to get scholarships, improve their ability, maybe even pursue it as a career, ALL take advantage of the system of trainers, coaches, etc. - people who know more about whatever it is they are trying to learn - who will help them realize whatever potential and talent they may have.

Music is like that, too.
  18. I'm 30 years old, and have been playing bass only year now. I have taken lessons on, as well as have read through many theory/practice books. I go to my 1st private, bass lessons with a actual teacher today. He teaches theory and jazz performance at a local university.

I've played guitar for years and have several guitar teachers. You can't beat a good teacher.

Take the lessons.
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'm a bit older than you [18] and started playing/owning about 7-8 years back. I started taking bass lessons after 4 years of *owning*-i then started to learn how to *play* the bass. Reason why i put a separation between owning and playing is-i messed around before, learned a few rock tunes that where easy, but no where near what i have started to do.

My first bass teacher [Lynn Colwell] taught me about music, scales, theory, and the actual act of playing bass and that gave me a nice foundation to where-i could play pretty well, nothing fancy, but i could hold down the bottom nicely. Now-after studying with Mr.Colwell for several years, i have switched to another local guy that many of the board members know [Scott Pazera]. When i was studying with Mr.Colwell-i got motivated after every lesson to practice. After each lesson with Scott I am motivated and excited not only to practice but to see the possibilities of what is achievable if i work hard enough. I strongly believe that i wouldn't have been able to handle taking lessons from Scott if it wasn't for taking lessons from Mr.Colwell.

Long Story Short-looking back, [yeah hindsight is 20/20] I wish i would have started taking lessons immediately that way i could be better prepared for the future endevours. My next endevour happens to be auditioning for music school in about a month. The tunes i plan on doing are: Autumn Leaves [playing the head while adding the roots underneath] on upright, and if i can get it ready [read as-i have to do some polishing but i think it is doable] Donna Lee on electric bass. :) :bassist:

Get lessons-you will thank us later.