1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DO I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by noeinstein, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I recently bought a nice Fender Sting (54 Reissue) P Bass. And, after playing it a little while, decided to add a pickup cover. But I'm getting cold feet when it comes to drilling holes in this beautiful body. Please help me think my way through this. I know, it isn't really much of a problem, but it's bugging me.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You could use double sided tape.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Why do you want to do this? Personally, I think scpb's look cooler without covers.

bholder likes this.
  4. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I think it will be a place to anchor my thumb (I know it isn't good technique) and that's my fear; I will discover I prefer it without the cover, and then have two holes in the body :banghead:

5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I did this to avoid pushing on the pickup: 51lrs.

noeinstein likes this.
  6. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Zero Mod has a Tele Bass version I have considered, but it isn't very sexy.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  7. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I like your bridge.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's a Hipshot bridge, with gotoh saddles - on this bass, I like the mixure of balck and silver for the hardware - the wood looks OK, but there's no contrast, hence the hardware that has it in spades. The tuners in that picture were temporary - they're all black (buttons and sleeves) and silver (body and post) now, made from parts of different 2 sets of gotohs. I (naturally) now have a spare set of tuners, with the opposite colors, in case I decide the dak and light parts need to be swapped or something.

noeinstein likes this.
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    How about a small thumb rest fixed with double sided tape, that way it is totally reversible and you don't hide any of that body that you love so much.

I believe it was @blablas that made some for his basses that were virtually invisible.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '78 P-Bass-1.JPG Hmm.. I would have thought a '54 reissue would have had a cover on it already, but what do I know...? My '78 P-Bass had one - and still does; pickup cover and thumb rest, too. I can't really tell you what to do, one way or the other. But, you might think of it this way; if it was a '54, it would have those holes anyway; as well as the ones for the tug bar, and the pickup cover...;)

11. If you mean this?
    TFq4Z2S.
    f42pBYX.
    Acrylic rod 30 millimeters diameter with all the bits I didn't want removed ;), and yes I put it on the bass with clear double sided tape.

JACink and noeinstein like this.
  12. Don't anchor the thumb, use it.
    Watch any video by Victor Wooten...

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  13. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I know, I know... old habits die hard.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    You are correct, it's a Sting, which is like a 54 (but without the holes;)). And, I like your thinking!

15. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Like that bass, lots of wood !

16. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I think the double-sided tape is the wimpy way to go, but you could try it out with the double-sided tape just to see if you really like it, and if you do then commit and drill those holes! But if you have any reservations that you'll regret the decision just sleep on it for a week. If you still are thinking about it, then do it.

noeinstein likes this.
  17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    My 2cents. Pretty as they are, they are tools.

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If you go double sided tape, don’t leave it on too long if you don’t like the mod, eventually it will dry out and take a bit of finish with it. Ask me how I know this.

19. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Exactly the kind of empirical knowledge I'm after, thank you.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Have you played a bass with covers? I learned on basses with no covers and trying to play one with covers drives me crazy. I play from just ahead of the bridge pup to up on the fret board, but my sweet spot on a jazz is just ahead of the neck pup and a cover is right where i don’t need it. I’d make sure i could live with it before i drilled for it.

noeinstein likes this.