Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I see a Scam comin'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 23, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am selling a '93 Volvo 850. I have it in Auto Trader. Here is a sample of a back and forth I have going with an "interested(?)" buyer. He writes:

Re: Payment But Can I Trust You?

Hello Jones,

Thanks for the mail and I will really love to get the Car from you, So please i want you to
    remove that Car from further advert placement in the net. The price $4,250 is very much okay
    by me for the Car and as regards shipping of the Car, i have a shipping agent who normally
    takes care of all my shipping consignments ,so do not worry yourself about that,i will take care
    of that myself.

Yes it is My creditor in the U.S is actually going to be responsible for the payment for
    the Car,and i have told him about this transaction and he told me that he will be sending the
    payment to you,he said the money i loaned to him has incured some interests and he will be
    sending my money to you with the commission,meaning you will be expecting a payment that is
    a little bit higher than the cost of the Car.Please after the cost of the Car,can i trust you to
    refund my balance funds back to my shipping agent who will be coming for the pick up of the
    Car? do let me know this, cos its very important.

Please if this arrangement is okay by you,kindly send to me your full Name and Address
    so that the payment can be made to you next week.Also include your phone number so that i
    can give you a call to discuss in details.Also remember to include this pics of the Car in your
    next mail,and do keep the title document and every other relevant papers of the car set and
    intact for the shipping agent who is coming for the pick up of the Car. Have a nice day and
    thanks once again for your response to my mail.

>Best Regards,
    (name witheld by P. Aaron)

2. P. Aaron

Re: Payment But Can I Trust You?

Dear (witheld),

Trust, of course, is a 2 way street. What I would prefer, rather than this give and take. Is that you, or your represenative call, arrange a time to come see, and if you wish, buy the car. I require that the funds be money order, cashiers check, drawn locally, or cash, rather than a personal check, or out of town drafts of any sort.

I do not want to do anything other than sell the car at acceptable price and terms. For the cleanest possible deal, I will sign over title, to whomever offers me the simplest transaction.

Would I like to sell the car? Yes, of course. in the simplest way possible. Advertising will cease as soon as I get the deal I like, and sign over the title.

P. Aaron

Am I taking this guy seriously? No. I'm kinda wanting to see how this will play out. I'm talking about a $4250 car. Not a Maserati. It takes all types I guess.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Judging from the text he's not in the US, right?

Where is he from? If he's from Europe or sth. - stay away.

Nobody can ask you to remove the offer before a deal is closed.

EDIT: This transferral of excess funds is a dead giveaway -SCAM.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    scam for sure. dont do it. send your emails to the cops and stay the hell away.

its the same thing those people try with expensive basses and also its a variant on the "nigerian royal family" scam.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was going to say that if Africa is involved in any way - don't touch it with a barge pole!! ;)

6. P. Aaron

I think my last letter, (2nd post) was the end of it. Scammers tend to shy away from defined "terms and conditions". But I am, more for amusement watching/waiting to see how this plays itself out.

If a rep of this scammer wants to come see the car, I'll have a friend here too, just to make sure.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    have several friends... with big sticks

8. Or friends with nice shiny blue uniforms and badges. And sticks. And handcuffs.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shiny blue uniforms - what like PVC, Patent Leather - the Gay/Bondage Police!!?? ;)

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  11. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    That's one of the oldest scams in the world. Don't fall for it..

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tons of people get that email, word for word. It's a scam.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Tell him the ad remains until you receive full payment, and nothing in excess, from the person whom you will sign title to the car over to. If he wants to use a local third-party, then you sell it to that third party ONLY, and he can then turn around and sell it to his foreign friend if he wishes.

Of course, certified funds only, and they must pick up the vehicle as well as permit you to copy their legal identification . . .

Something tells me you won't hear back from them again.

14. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: I fell off my chair laughing.. holy moly that's some funny sheet.

15. P. Aaron

I figured the repsonse(2nd post) that I sent would quash any more interest from this "Prospect". And so far it's been quiet...

16. That Mr.T thing is amazing!!!

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This scam may work like one I saw happen first hand recently: Scammer advertises to sell something, likely a car. His buyer sends payment to you, you give scammer (his cronies) your car, and the scammer's buyer, who just paid you a chunk of change, is stuck like Chuck.

Don't know if that's the MO for this scam, but I bet it's something similar... sounds like you nipped it in the bud, though.

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    LMAO!!!