1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I Sell It or rout in new pickups? - Gibson Les Paul Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SJAddis, Apr 20, 2010.

1. SJAddis

SJAddis

Apr 19, 2010
    Ok, the crappy Bartolini pickups and preamp in my Gibson Les Paul bass makes noise like a jet taking off- apparently an issue common to the model- and I can't fix it by replacement because the tech says it just repeats the problem.

SO- do I rout in new EMG 35 pickups and ruin the value of the bass or sell it to someone who won't mind the noise it makes; keeping it original and get rid of it? Any thoughts? It won't be worth what I paid no matter what. MAN!! They can put a man on the MOON! Y'know!?

2. SJAddis

SJAddis

Apr 19, 2010
    By the way the Bartolinis are humbucks which fit a standard guitar humbucker hole I believe.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Why not get the EMG's that fit that rout already?

Or perhaps some Rio Grande Pitbulls?

Or Gibson TB+ pickups make for pickup rings, you see them sometimes on eBay.

SGD Lutherie make pickups with that shell too, he's a TB'er and his pickups sound fantastic.

There are more outr there, plenty of options that don't involve routing up a lovely Gibson.

4. SJAddis

SJAddis

Apr 19, 2010
    I have looked up both of the makers- I was wondering if any of the pickups you have mentioned are actives? I also don't know, nor can I find the specs as far as size- but I am going to keep at it. Thanks for your input!

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  6. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    and there's Nordstrand pickups too..

of course, if you were to install DarkStars it would be worth routing it out.. ;)

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Not even Darkstars are worth ripping up a Gibby LP bass for...