1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I smell *sniff sniff* MARKETING BS?!?!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr_Sore_Fingerz, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Instrument-Cable-StraightStraight?sku=331653

Not sure how new this is but apparently Monster Cables has decided to market a new type of instrument cable to the bassist out there. Supposedly a bunch of stuff is supposed to give you more punch and low-end retention in your bass using this cable...anybody else find this to be stupid?

Aside from reliability I really didn't think there was that much emphasis on your cables....am I wrong?

2. A Monstrous load of c**p!

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've always liked Monster Cables for their durablity, but I don't buy the better bass quality signal based on a cable theory at all.

4. Monster makes great products for sure.. but I don't own any simply because they are priced way out of my budget. If I'd see used Monster cables, I'd most definiately be tempted. In the meanwhile however, 'Bayou Cables' with 'G & H" ends will also do the job just as well thank you!

5. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    I used to think all cables were the same.
    Then I was in a band in San Francisco with a guitarist who worked at Monster. He used to bring all sorts of swag to practice. I had the unique oppertunity to be able to try out all sorts of cables, (Monster and non), back to back.
    Now you may find this to be an unsettling concept but different cables make a bigger difference to your sound than different brands of strings. I know it sounds crazy but when you A/B them you'll see.
    And as far as bass frequencies the Monster "Jazz Guitar" cable had a much bassier, wider sound that the Monster "Bass". I haven't tried the "Full Frequency" yet.
    Yes they are stupidly over priced but they are the best. You really have to A/B them.

6. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Are we really going to go through all of this again...this is the 3rd or 4th thread on monster cables in the last 2 weeks....

Come on people use the search function...

And for the record the monster bass cables have been out for 2 years or more...

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    5... 4...

8. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Yeah, actually, I agree with Jeremy5000. I have many cables. Atlantic waves, fender, mogami, Monster and bayoucable. I mainly use my 2 monster cables and my atlantic waves. I found that my Monster Jazz cable has a more noticable midrange and low end response than my Atlantic waves. my atlantic waves cable has more of a high-range response. My other monster cable has an all around highmid sound to it. while subtle, they still sound different. These are all with the same bass, same setting, same amp, same everything, save for the cables.

9. These "Bass" cables have been out for years. Pretty good stuff actually. Mine is probably well over 5 years old and still going stong.

10. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    P.S.
    I guess "best" is a relative term. A different band I was in the guitarist purposfully used the cheapest, thinnest, rattiest, cords you've ever seen. He was going for this really dirty squeezed vintage tone. So again you have to try different ones out and find what works best for you. (Tip - just save the receipt ;) )

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey, at 60 bucks, they're a lot cheaper than the comparable Tara Labs cables. Of course the Tara Labs are far superior, though.

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Sounds like "Gold Plated USB" cables compared to regular usb cables... same marketing bs... but that's just IMO. (And IME, at least in the computer tech field. :))

13. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Thin gold plating does a lot to prevent corrosion and or mold growth on connectors. I've seen hundreds of ratty RJ non-gold (ie cheap) connectors in the telecommunications field. The gold on connectors do help keep contacts from going bad and improves reliability and reduces noise. The gold plating does much more than make the gear look nice.

14. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    The quality of the cable you use makes a difference.

15. I haven't tried them but I do believe that all the different things you can do to a cable can SLIGHTLY adjust the tone. So if you already have the upgrades and highend gear you might as well buy em.

That said, Monster does not have the best record for consistency, the guy who wrote 151 Bass Tips swears by them, so do other people, yet other people have had to replace the cables over and over again...

I like how one guy put it "they put a warranty on their product because they know it will break".

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Just wait...all the naysayers will awake & be blasting soon.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I can't say they sound better or worse than anything else out there. I've used the monster bass cables and I've found that they've turned my input jacks into gaping holes that won't accept anything but the monster bass cable without falling out.

I just make my own cables because I'm cool.

18. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    This thread has nothing to do with setup or repair. Please shuttle to the proper forum.

19. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    +1 I have been using these for a years.

Honestly, I do not see anything different between their pro series bass cables and the Mugami I have, but they have paid for themselves in durability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.