1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I upsize the gauge with flatwounds???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bennybass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hello,
    I recently decided to put some flatwounds on my bass to change up the tone. When I was buying them the salesman told me that I must up the size of the gauge when switching from roundwounds to flatwounds - is this true??? :eyebrow:
    So if my bass is set-up for 0.105 - 0.85 - 0.65 - 0.45 gauges, what gauge of flatwounds should I get?:help:
    Thanks!!!

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    GC? BS!

What kind of flats are you looking at? What is your personal preference on the string preference thing?

3. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    This is not true. If anything, you might consider going down in gauge, as flats tend to be higher tension/less flexible than rounds in general. Depends on which flats, though.

4. I got some Dean Markley's.
    Yeah Eeyorebass thats what i thought - "as flats tend to be higher tension/less flexible than rounds":meh:

5. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Flatwounds are awesomest when the G is .055! Fact.

6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    For the first time in 35+ years I have tried some flats (on my fretless). I decided on Sadowsky Flats 40-60-80-100 - changing from Elixir Nanoweb 45-65-85-105.

My guitar tech did the setup and told me that it is important to stick with the SAME: brand, style and gauge strings to maintain tension for the setup. He said that even similar gauges from different manufacturers have much different tension. I'm happy with the result! :D

7. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The only flats that have less tension than standard hex-core roundwounds are the TI Jazz, but those only come in one set of gauges anyway.

8. yes any suggestions on favorite flats as well, please let me know

9. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Although I use TI and LaBella flats, I prefer DA Chromes.

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    That's absolutely false. Maybe the salesman had some heavy gauge flats that he was looking to unload.

Generally speaking, a set of 45-105 flats will have a heavier feel than a set of comparably gauged rounds. It's simple string theory: it's why a round bar is easier to bend than a squared one.

11. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1

12. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    You should always go one gauge lighter than you would with rounds , flats are more compressed than rounds due to the flat wrap which is why they are higher tension

13. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Rotosounds RS77LE is my set, but they're not for everyone. My P bass would cry and probably have to be completely readjusted if I didn't put those on there. Different manufacturers really do have different characteristics and tensions, so once you find something you like, unless you like to readjust your setup every time, stick with that string. It may take you some experimentation to figure out what it is you like, but once you do, you'll be happy.

And +1 on the BS you need to go up in gauge. Hogwash.

14. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    +1 fender flat Ms

15. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I went "down" on my bass when I made the switch to D'Addario Chromes flats . . . she loved it! As did I . . .

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

This is wisdom. :ninja: