Do I want a set of EMGs or will I stick with Barts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Nov 26, 2003.

1. I have this old Yamaha BB1200s that I defretted and equipped with Bartolinis. Low output and a mite bland, but useable.

Here's what the bass looks like. Or rather, looked like when it had some sadowsky pups on it:

Now, the Barts have one other problem. For some reason I can't get the little sods to work together. All wiring options lead to phase probs. This is not a great problem, though, as I am reasonably happy using either the P or the J rather than a mix of the two.

Do I want to spring umpteen hundred dollars on a set of EMG pups and an EMG preamp or not? I wanta active pups - I use Labella tapewounds and love them. I want pups which will bring out the sound of the string cleanly but with a bit more bite than the barts.

Any suggestions?
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    What didn't you like about the Sadowsky's? :bag:

I have a couple friends that swear by EMG Actives.
    My strat slinging friend says that they are the most even pickups, up and down the neck, that he has ever played. And when pushed to distortion that he can hear every note clearly.

I have always had phase problems with the P & J pu setup.

My only active bass is Carvin with the newer pre.
    I usually play it passive because of a more organic tone. This is with humbucking J style pickups.

Another brand you might consider is Seymour Duncan
    Basslines. I have an SPB2 in my Yamaha BB200, and it definately helped bring out the acoustic character of this bass. It also punches much better on stage.

The Bart P Pickup I have in another bass is definately a lot smoother, but that bass is a neckthrough design. Not sure if that is apples to apples. ;)
  3. The Sadowskys are great pickups and I still have them. I am looking for a PJable bass worthy of them. This BB1200 is a different fish, though. I want a very transparent sound on the thing, so I stuck the Barts on.

The BB1200s is also neck through.