Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do I want this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3757156968&rd=1

As some of you know, I'm beginning to develop a little bit of a Steinberger XM fetish. This one is a fairly rare 5 string version - 5 strings squeezed into the space that 4 strings would normally occupy. Seems like it's resonably priced so far. I may bid on it on a whim, who knows? There's a few issues I have - pretty tight spacing, and it's not a Transtrem (they didn't make one for 5 strings anyway). Hmmm... I'd be tuning it in my standard 5ths tuning, but with an extra high string; CGDAE.

So... do I want this or not? You tell me.

2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    If I had a Steinberger fetish, I would regret not picking up a rare versoion of a bass that I lusted after. So I say go for it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do it. Do it.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    DO IT! Benny boy.. Do it!

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like a nice bass, but you might want to cruise over and to Steinbergerworld.com or join the associated Yahoo Steinberger forum and post your queries there. You won't find a more knowledgeable group of folks on Steinbergers anywhere.

Steinberger World

Steinberger World Forum

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Been there, done that. Did I mention I have two Transtrem equipped XMs already?

For me, it's not really about collecting the instruments as it is getting something I would actually use. I'm just debating on whether I want a 5 or not. I've been happy playing a 4 for a long time, but adding a high E string would cover almost the entire range of a bass and a g**tar. Hmmm...

7. i'd get if it it was talking to me...

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ask for the weight before you buy. You want to know how much this bass weighs.

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Whoo ... no, you didnt mention that. And with that in mind, are you sure it's not really about collecting the instruments???

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, those pictures are wretched.

*photo major... sorry*

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have two already. They are heavy, but that balance so well it's not noticable.