Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do ibanez SUCK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Hi everyone i own an Ibanex SR810 and i like it very much but every post i see at TalkBass talks soo poorly about Ibanez and i want someone to tell ne why they are soooooooo bad

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not so much bad basses, but bad quality control. Some are absolute beasts (good thing) others are firewood. And the one ones that suck. REALLY stink. Warping necks, poor harware bad electronics, frets that are lumpy and uneven, ect. These basses are what makes people trash on Ibanez. OTOH, I own one, and I got lucky, getting a good one. So more power to the good Ibanez' but beware the quality control.

Of course, they are really making a comeback with the BTB series, as well as the ED (B,C, and A series) wich have some merits. Over all BTB is the best Ibanez makes, not to mention being excellent basses in their own right.

But, all and all, the problem is the widely varying quality...at least IME, IMHO, YMMV, and any other net lingo you can think of. Of course. This is all subjective, so think what you will.

3. I totally agree w/Brendan on everything.

4. from what i heard from some local bassplayers...

the SR series have poor price/quality balance..

the ED(A/B/C) and BTB have very good price/quality balance..

and from my own experience i can confirm the part about the EDC.. My EDC is a very good bass, allthough the factory-setup could have been better.. but with the help of some allen-wrenches and a screwdriver, my baby was ready to blast ! :)

5. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    At the end of the day, Ibanez has the same overall quility as other basses in the price range.

Period

It does seem that ATK/EDA/EDB/EDC/BTB basses are better than the Soundgear range. I haven't heard high end Soundgear owners have too many complaints. Just the cheapers models. I have a Ibanez GSR200, and it is good for a beginner bass. Some people expect to much for a low price.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I pretty much agree with everything said here so far. I have an Ibanez SR 885 and it smokes! But I did have problems with the electronics. I would say Ibanez higher priced models are great and the lower price ones.... well you get what you pay for. Same thing goes for Fender

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    well, you own an Ibanez bass, you know how it plays and feels, so why you need someone else's opinion to decide if it's good or not?

don't take everything on Talkbass too seriously, people will often bash gear without ever trying it or not knowing it good enough.

if you like your ibanez then more power to you, if you don't like it you should have sold it not regarding what you hear of them.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "well you get what you pay for. Same thing goes for Fender"

I think that says it all, CB.

Things like poor set up can usually be corrected pretty easily. Poor quality materials are another thing, though.

I personally wouldn't buy a new low end bass. If you get a nice clean used one, any problems that take some time to show up, such as neck twisting will be apparent.

Poor quality controls can be changed out for better quality components for real cheap if you do the work yourself. A good shielding job is inexpensive and can make a world of dif in a low end bass.

If there are fret problems, they will be obvious when you check out the bass. Even the low end basses have pretty darn good necks and fret problems are the exception rather than the rule.

There are lots of higher quality after market pups that also are available on the used market too.

Keep in mind that everything doesn't have to be done at once so you can spread the cost out and, meanwhile, have a very useable instrument.

You will also know your instrument inside and out before you're through.

Just keep in mind that even after the mods and adjustments, you still have a low end bass and will be lucky to get back what you spend at resale.

I have seen plenty of low end basses that have the potential of being very good players.

Pkr2

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just a plug for some of the older Ibanez basses. I used to play an '86 Road Star II. It played like butter. Excellent fit and finish, great neck, and good electronics. Kind of sorry I sold it, but I only play fretless now.
    Doc

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Personally, I have never cared much for the Soundgears. BUT, I haven't ever played one of the higher end ones. I think the BTB's are great basses, and I wouldn't mind having one someday, maybe.

I agree with the "you get what you pay for" theory.

12. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My first bass i got(only bass i got) was a Ibanez GTR 50. i was just wondering if any of u have ever heard of it. I dont see anything on it anywhere. maybe its a one of kind. and i can sell it for lotsa moola.

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    This will give Munji a case of the red ass, but all I own are Ibanez. The only issues I have had were with the electronics. I replaced the active preamps and pups and have great sounding instruments.

Decide for yourself. There are as many opinions here, pro and con, as there are people. I personally dont like the Fenders, but there are many that do and more power to them.

Mike

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dr. Mike, you nailed it.

I have a Soundgear 6 string. I like the slim neck(although I would like a little wider string spacing), the body shape, the B string, the unamplified tone, and the headstock shape.

The bass is a beauty. Transparent teal over soft maple, wenge fretboard, gold hardware. Very nice.

But the preamp leaves a lot to be desired. One of these days, when I have a spare $150, I am gonna take it to the shop and get an Aguilar preamp put in. Who knows, after I do that, maybe it will start cutting into the quality time that I spend with the Zon and Pedulla.:)

15. I own an SR 800. I am not sure how old it is since I got it used (my guess is around 5 years) The neck is fine and the hardware is in great shape no lose stuff etc... I love that bass, it plays very nice. However my only problem with it are the electronics. When I get some cash I will definatley upgrade.

But my SR 800 for me is definately a keeper.

16. I agree. I've got an old roadster from 1980-85 and it's exactly the same it's a brilliant tone and playing bass and I've kept it and still play it.
    To further the topic I think Ibanez are great if your purchasing a first bass as most of the time they have a fairly good tone and usually if you buy from a good music store they won't have duds in stock. The quality is not as sketchy as they say and let's face it a lot of people on this board own really high end basses so of course the quality is not going to match them.

17. Ibanez definately DO NOT suck. I like them better than Fender. Yeah I'm a REBEL

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like Soundgears more than I like rebels, so I don't think that Ibenhad sux either.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    One man's garbage is another man's treasure. There is a reason there in more than one bass company. Not everyone likes the same thing. Just cause alot of people don't like something, dosen't mean it isn't any good.

I've worked @ Sam's A$$ for 2 years & I now work in a smaller store that does heavy Ibanez business & I've seen nothing but good stuff from them in the last 3-5 yrs. Good craftsmanship, excellent quality control. The local rep is the friendliest & helpful rep I've worked with.

20. TitaniumAngel

TitaniumAngel

Aug 30, 2000

Ahem...
    The RoadSTER, and RoadSTAR, are different basses. The roadSTERs that I have played were great (wonderful articulation, great wood, ect.). However, the roadSTARS were less than great. Just pointing out that it is a different bass. As for new Ibanez basses, I really only like the BTB. The soundgears sound a little weak to me, and Im partial to the fatter neck (Im a stingray kinda guy (wish I had one)) on the BTB. Im sorta wary of the ergos, mostly because of the fake wood that the bodies are made out of (luthite).
    thats pretty much my 2 cents on the issue.