1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do-it-all Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Oct 2, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys, I'm selling some of my rig to upsize a bit :D and I'm waffling over a variety of basses. I love the tone of any Fender- I love the P sound, I love the J sound, and I love the PJ sound. I'm running into a problem because of this. I can't decide if I want the 5 string modern player jazz or a 4 string precision or the modern player jaguar or what. I already have a Squier CV Precision bass 60's so I don't think I should go for another precision, but I just love them. On the flipside, the MP Jazz 5 is inexpensive, versatile and has 5 strings (I think this would help because I play a lot of metal), however, I don't like the thickness of my Squier VM Jazz bass 5 string's neck very much which scares me away from it. Which of these choices would fit my needs- ability to play funk, metal, and everything in between- best?

2. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    When you say thickness, are you talking about the space between the fretboard & back of the neck or the nut width?

3. Would a nice PJ with a P body and J neck fit the bill?

Are you set on a 4 or 5 string, or can you go either way?

4. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    I'd prefer a 5 string, and Herrick the neck on the VM is like a baseball bat, I have trouble fitting my hand around it. String spacing is no biggie to me.

5. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Hmm...I don't know how the other Fender 5-string necks compare to the VM :meh: Do you need a 5-string or are you ok with just tuning down a 4? If you tune down, I'd go for a Fender with a PJ setup since you already have a P Bass. I'd probably go for a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.

6. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    That's a bit pricey for me, I'm mainly in the Modern Player/MIM Standard stuff. $700 is my upper limit. I'd much rather have a 5 string. Are there any non Fender 5 string PJs?

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    how about a sterling sub ray 4/5? technically they were designed by fender.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

As much as I'd like to throw in with Herrick on the Aerodyne-front, the one Fender that strikes me as being the most versatile is the Reggie Hamilton Jazz. It's a P/J Jazz that can switch from passive to active AND has a pre-installed Drop-D tuner to hit those "sub-E" notes. True, it's not a fiver, but you asked for a "do it all" Fender and that's the best I can think of without a lot of modding.

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I think the Reggie Hamilton is also over his budget, unless he can snag one used. There is supposed to be a five string version coming but of course you won't get one of those used for some months after they appear and that could be months to many months in the future. There is a possibility that the fiver could have the Fender asymmetric neck and since I have the same complaint about fivers but to a smaller degree as JO3YW I would suggest that he look at asymmetric necks. The only modest priced asymmetric fivers I know of at the present are the MTD/Kingston CRB and Saratoga. Strictly from looking at their pickup layouts they should cop a Fender-esque tone (I have never played either one). The Saratoga is priced in the Modern Player range, the CRB is a little cheaper. I'm a Fender fan myself but that does not keep me from appreciating other brands, or owning them. I've tried a Kingston Heir V in a store and while it is more expensive due to the active electronics and dual humbuckers it is otherwise similar. It was a great bass, I love that asymmetric neck.

I've also played an American Deluxe Jazz V in a store and its asymmetric neck is also delightful but of course it is well outside the OP's and my budget! It and the Kingston have convinced me that if I keep a fiver it will have to be asymmetric. I may sell my Standard Jazz V soon and wait to see what neck the Reggie Hamilton V has, even though that could be a long wait. If it is not asymmetric I will pick up a Kingston at some point. The only other neck I know of that might suit JO3YW better is the Ibanez SR series fivers. Those necks are very thin and comfortable. I had an SR505 for a while and I loved the bass but not the string spacing. JO3YW doesn't seem to care so it might work for him. Sounds nothing like a Fender though....

10. Schecter Diamond P-5 Custom. Hands down, the best Fender-esque 5 string bass for the money. Not really a P/J, but it's a P/Humbucker.

For as far as "getting your hand around the neck", I'd say alter your technique. I prefer playing with my thumb near the back of the neck, not use my thumb to fret the B string. :meh:

Good luck with your choice!

11. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I don't use my thumb to fret the B string. I didn't think people did that. I just find it insanely chunky. I'm actually checking out Ibanez's ATK series at the moment cause of the looks, nice neck and neat pickups.

12. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I realize it's slightly over your budget, but I will also vote for the Fender Reggie Hamilton as a very versatile bass.

13. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yamaha BB415 or BB425. Passive, 5-string P/J.

EXCELLENT quality and sound. And I think they're pretty easy to find for well under $500. I bought a brand new BB415 just after they were discontinued, for $299 with free shipping.