Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do-it-yourself refinishing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KumoriNeko, Jul 28, 2001.

1. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    I'm not sure if this is in the right category, so I'm sorry.
    But anyway, I was considering refinishing my bass and I'm curious what you guys have used material wise. I'm to poor to afford a pro job. I've heard of people using car paint or even spray paint that turned out nice looking. If any of you do-it-yourself-painters have some pictures of your refinished basses and/or any regrets from mistakes please reply.

Also, did you guys sand to the base coat or just paint over the old paint?

2. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

check out the guitar re-ranch site. The ReRanch

i used their lake placid blue to refin my MIA Jazz and it looks awesome.

check it out

(it has those seymour duncan Antiquity II pickups installed. I've since added a BadAss II bridge. )

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i would refinish i bass. let me explain:

an all original 1962 fender jazz bass with original finish = (i've seen them up to) $7,500

same bass with refinish = $2,000

...but if you plan on keeping the bass for the rest of your life, you might as well go for it.

4. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

you are correct, but my Jazz Bass is a 96/97. The market is much more saturated with these than an early sixties model.

If they sold 100,00 in 62, they sold 10,000,000 in 96.

Also, for some ridiculous reason, Fender decided to use veneers for the front and back. It drove me crazy!!!

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    yea, but you never know if it has a unique finish, or if it will become rare. For instance, take my metalic purple p-bass. Who the hell would want a purple glitter bass? So everone decides to get a refinish, so i'm stuck with a rare instrument.

6. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I would love a purple metallic Pbass, or any bass that color :D.

7. If you are going to re-finish your bass. Definitely sand to bare wood. Then start from scratch. Regular spray paint will look bad unless you have a kick ass base coat and the paint is extremely high quality. A good resource for guitar refinishing is "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. The book is about guitars but the information it has is relevant to both instruments. It's kinda pricey but it's worth it. Check this book out and you'll be that much more prepared.

8. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i stripped that sucker clean. i actually follwed the instructions exactly as they are posted on the reranch site.

the key is patience of which i have little.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    whoa! Thats great! Im gonna refinish my Precision bass in Daphne Blue now. :D

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    when you refinish, do you have to take the neck off? If you do, Im just not gonna bother.

11. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

you do, but it's easy. no problem at all.

especially on a P.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah it is... for some reason I thought that would screw up the truss rod but I cant see why it would. nevermind about that then.

how long does this process take and is it easy to screw up? I usually screw up everything, so...

Daphne Blue bass... drool.