Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do it yourself string through

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fender_mod, Dec 12, 2005.

1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    anyone ever drilled thier own holes in the body of their bass to make it string through? ive been day dreaming on this for a little bit as ive been steadily customizing my own guitar. i suppose it would be as simple, if you could call it that, as marking the holes in a string through bridge and going through them with nice sharp drill bit. is this worth it/has anyone tried this too or am i just crazy?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Been there.

Done that.

Don't bother.

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    care to elaborate?

i also forgot about adding string ferrules to the back of the bass, i gues that could be installed by drilling a appropriate sized hole in the back of the bass to incorporate the ferrules.

5. Yeah, sorry about that. Not terribly helpful.

If you do this, be sure to use a drill press. Using a hand drill, it's too hard to keep it straight. Once you get to the back of the instrument, the holes won't line up and it'll look bad.

Yes, just drill the right-sized hole and press the ferrules in.

Here are my points about it:
    1. longer strings - my bass is 35" scale, and with the extra length taken by the thru-body stringing, some brands are too short (SIT comes to mind)
    2. the hard angle at the bridge saddle takes longer to settle in with new strings, could lead to more breaking of strings
    3. un-stringing is a pain - I ususally cut mine rather than try to feed a curly end through a straight hole
    4. the advantage would be higher downward pressure on the bridge saddle, but I think it's high enough already. It eliminates any chance of the string moving/stretching over the saddle, which might be a good or bad thing. See this thread for WAY more information

IMO and all that

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've had the same thoughts on my older (96') Carvin 5 string fretless that came with a Wilkinson bridge. The slot for one of the strings had a slight issue but still holds the string okay but the break angle over the saddle is almost straight by some standards.
    By going STB, the extra length taken up would help cause with the 'B' sting flat windings (it's got Labella tape wounds) will wind around the post due to the tuner being closest to the nut. This is supposedly a no-no as the flat winding can become separated from wrapping around the narrow tuning post. Another 1/2" back is all it needs to stay within the 1" span from tuner to nut. As it is, it's got a half of a wrap around it but no problems to speak of. As far as that goes It doesn't have any sustain problems or any others.
    Anyway, I've considered swapping it for a STB bridge but I don't play it enough to warrant the effort.
    If you should decide to go through with it, Also be sure to use a piece of tape over the surface to help prevent splintering and use a center punch 1st so the bit doesn't wander.

7. You could measure once, twice, 3,4,5...10 times, and start the holes from the back. That way they'd be perfectly aligned there. Drill them partway through, then drill the rest from the front. A slight mismatch halfway through is less bad than at the front or the back.

8. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    thanks for the info/input. this should help me out a good bit in deciding whether or not to go through with my scheme.

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I think it made a little difference in sound but I didn't use a drill press so it's impossible to get holes to line up. The holes not lining up dosen't effect sound, however it just looks my 1st atempt. Bass was a Yamaha RBX650 & the bridge had the holes in it for what looked like string thru capability.
    Yea, don't do it.