Do Jazzes feel this way to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Apr 10, 2003.

1. I always thought i wouldnt mind the thinner neck of a jazz. But for the first time i played a MIM fender jazz, and i felt like i had to be too careful playing. The neck felt too skinny to me. Does anyone else feel this way. If i bought a jazz in the future, would it be something i grew to be comfortable with?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Only you can really answer that.
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    borrow a friends or something and see how you like it.. personally I grew up with Fenders well the one I bought recently isn't a MIM Jazz, its the Jaco tribute fretless its actually bassed off a '62reissue I believe.. but yea I didn't feel the need to play super careful but my main is a Fender P the necks are pretty much identical except for the woods and the fact that the other one is a fretless although I am a bit more cautious with thomping and slapping and stuff because it doesn't have frets..
  4. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I too prefer the thicker Pbass neck over the thinner Jazz -- the Jazz neck feels too cramped IMO.

But you could probably get used to anything if you played on it enough.
  5. when i said careful, i meant i was cramped playing the jazz neck, i felt like i couldnt keep my hand comfortable on this skinny of a neck, my wrist also felt like it was in danger of twisting.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Personally, I like the skinnier jazz necks better, but I feel like I can play either. If you are squeezing the neck with your thumb, then you need to adjust your playing because the medical problems will kick in fast.
  7. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i can stand it, but i much prefer the neck on a p-bass. the jazz neck is just to thin for me. to each his own though.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's what I thought you meant. I love my Jazz basses. I totally prefer the narrower neck. Less room for my hands to move. :)
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    J necks are pretty good I suppose, my HM4 has one, and it feels good, but the other J necks I have played arent as good feeling for some reason...and the only P necks I really like are the '51 P RI necks, with the low radius. plays like buttah. I also loooove warwick necks.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    All 4-strings have too small necks! :(

Now a good, chunky Warwick five.. That's where it's at :cool:
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    darn straight Tsal! no bass just drops into my hand like a warwick 5'er neck.

for 4's - i'll play anything. only on a 5 or a 6 with 'full' string spacing do i start to feel uncomfortable.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm not picky aobut necks, unless say, tehy are the size of a 2x4 and have 9 strigns or somethin, lol. I have always been a 5 player so the thinner neck feels normal. I'm comfortable with skinny litte ibanez necks as well as big n' chunky "basball bat" necks. Oh, and I liek teh neck on my essex jazz. :)