1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Lakland bridge holes line up with a Badass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jeremy5000, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    Do the existing three drilled holes in a Lakland bridge line up with a Badass II?
    Thanks!

2. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Yes they do. Are you thinking of switching?

3. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    What's the point in swapping out the bridge? I can't see any benefit to this.

4. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    Well, I'm not in love with the string through body design, and the badass is just what I'm used to. Right tension and feel for me.
    And yes I'll be honest I don't really care for the look of the oval Lakland bridge. And there's really no room for argument there because people like things to look like the way they like them to look. e.g., I'm not going to grow a mustache and wear a leather cap, it's just not me.

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I'm actually not in love with the look of the oval bridge myself. :)

6. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    Not that there's any thing wrong with that, I just don't play on that team. :eek:

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Considering the Badass is also not quick release, I would agree. But I switched my Lakland for a Hipshot. I gotta' have quick release as I change strings embarassingly often.

As for the oval design, I kinda' liked it. :(

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    AAAAAAAA! The bridge has absolutely NOTHING to do with the string tension.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Absolutely true. But let's not open up that can of worms. :p

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    AAAAAAAA! A can of worms has absolutely NOTHING to do with the string tension!

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    AAAAAAAA! How could someone think the bridge makes the string more taut or naught? Sigh...

12. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Im actualy thinking of replacing the Lakland bridge to a Badass.

The reason is, putting fresh boiled strings back with the Lakland bridge is a pita.

13. I've successfully installed a BA 5 bridge on a JO5, it requires two additional holes to be drilled that would be covered up should you reinstall the Lakland bridge.

The pros:

- Looks, any Fender type bass looks "right" with a BA on it to me. I don't mind the Lakland bridge on my 55-94, but the JO5 didn't look right to me.
    - Sustain, I thought the bass sustained better.
    - Balance, should your bass be slightly neck heavy, the BA will help balance it as it is a tad bit heavier that the Lakland bridge. My JO5 had perfect balance when after the BA was installed.

The cons:

- String through will not work.
    - There was the slightest outline / indentation of the original bridge in the clear coat, it could have been sanded out and re buffed however you could only see it on certain angles really close up, I never bothered as the bass was natural and you really could not tell. Darker colors would stand out more I'm sure.

Hope this helps.

Mike

DSCF0002.

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Lately I realised I'm not happy with the string spacing on my 44-01 and thinking of a new bridge with narrower spacing. I couldn't find the spacing of Badass II,is it the same?

I just found hipshot A style width

Lakland has: .78"
    Hipshot has: .750"

Would that do much of a difference?

15. As true as this is, I do find that both of my P-basses felt a lot more SOLID (for lack of a better term) to me after I switched out the bunk stock bridge to a Badass. For whatever reason, my strings do almost feel "tighter". Perhaps it's all in my mind considering the beefy appearance of the Leo Quan bridge. I play with my fingers and tune B-E-A-D using heavy-gauge strings. It may not be the same for everyone but the Badass made a whole world of difference in my case.