Do Lakland bridges look wrong to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Just that. Do Lakland bridges look wrong to anyone else?

I want a 55-02D so bad I can't stand it. But I might have to swap a Hipshot bridge for that oval thing.

Does anyone else feel that way, or is it just me? Oh I see. It's just me. Nobody else thinks that oval bridge is ridiculous. Sure you don't...Come on! Admit it! :bag:
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    quite the contrary, IMO they are the most stylish bridges that can be put on a J/P...I wish I could buy them seperately.
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    IMO, Laklands look wrong in general. *Runs away and hides*
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    The oval bridges look fine on their original Lakland body style, and look ok on the DJ style. But they look wrong on the Jazz and P styles.
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    When I get up in the morning and turn on my light, the first thing I see when I stare across the room at my 44-02 is the headstock. I really like the way that the curvature of the upper horn seems to vanish suddenly and reincarnate itself onto the very top of the headstock as suddenly as it had disappeared. I think that bass guitars are very beautiful instruments in the first place, and I like how this one mixes the standard plasticy paint job with a certain amount of this curvy subtleness I have been jabbering about. When I look at the bridge itself, it can look pretty strange (but also consider that it is a two-way bridge), but when I look at the instrument as a whole, an imagine any other kind of bridge on it, I don't think the overall effect and beauty would shine as brightly without it.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I don't like them either. I don't think it would stop me from buying one though.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I like the basses.....the bridge has grown on me-it's nearly the same [ok-it looks like it to me] as the bridge that is on my Ray5-so to me, it just looks wrong being on a jazz styled bass. Now-if i had the money, i would own a Skyline JO5 in a heart beat though-ugly bridge and all. :)
  8. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I know some people like them, but I personally think the bridge just ruins the bass. I can't look at them without thinking it looks like something laid an egg on it. Too bad, because I think the headstocks are cool.

Maybe a Lakland would work for me if I used the ol' paper bag trick? (On the bass, not on me... hmm, actually, maybe on me would work just as well.)
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oh it's definitely not stopping me. I think I'll be ordering one about twenty-five minutes after I find a way to pay for it. I just can't love that oval bridgeplate. I was curious if anyone else had looked at a 55-02 or 55-01, and said "This would look SHARP with a Hipshot on it."
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    At first I thought it looked kinda weird but I got used to it.
    The Lakland name ingraved in it makes it easier to get along with. :cool:
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Doesn't bother me at all, and it's on a terrific bass.
  12. I think its sharp as can be. I prefer it over all the rectangle ordinary looking type. I love my other basses with the "ordinary type too, but the Lakland oval is different and inovative in my book. Plus, I instantly know when I'm lookin' at a Lakie and I've seen plenty of them live, on TV, you name it. I do respect you opinion an difference in taste, nothing wrong with that. Good luck and enjoy your Lakland.
  13. Agreed.

It's pretty nice on the 55-02 though.
  14. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I cannot say that I am a fan of the oval style bridges. They always seem a bit off or something of that type. I think a hipshot bridge would look better on it.
  15. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't care for the bridges at all. Takes them out of the "I'd like to have one category".

Glenn D.
  16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I'll admit I have more lustful feelings for the look of an 'A-Type' Hipshot bridge, but I love the Laklands with their unique bridge and have no problems with them.

Two very cool things about Lakland bridges:

1) there aren't that many bridges/basses that offer you the option to run your strings either way. A very thoughtful, and practical expansion of bridge function.

2) from a marketing perspective, you can tell someone (especially on TV, award shows, etc.) is playing a Lakland from a mile away just by identifying the bridge. No matter which model, or how fleeting a glimpse the camerman gives you of the bass player, you know when they are playing one of Dan's basses. Genious I say!

I used to have an early model 4-94 and the bridge didn't have the holes to string-thru the bridge. Of course, I sent it to Lakland and they drilled the holes and sent it back no charge. I think it's pretty common knowledge that Dan & company offer unmatched customer service.
  17. :bassist: The bridge looks "different," the headstock looks "different," but it sounds and plays better than any bass I have ever owned. This is the JoBo5 with J-Retro. This is the one I have been searching for all my adult life. I lucked up on it at Galaxy Music in Stone Mountain GA.

Notice that I didn't say it looked wrong or bad.
    Lithonia GA :bassist:
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland bridges make other bridges look "wrong."
  19. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think they look kinda strange. Not "wrong" but strange. But the style does kind of grow on you.
  20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses