1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do left handed guitars look strange to joe public?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigie, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Strange! (I play right)

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Strange! (I play left)

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. No difference

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. way better!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. JQ public can’t see a difference

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  6. JQP can see a difference

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. this thread is really dumb and yet I read it anyway

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Any bass I see posted here that’s a lefty looks really odd to me, no matter how nice it is. It’s probably when on a stand or by itself, not when being played. My ex-friend’s sister made him a painting of a guitar and it’s a lefty (although he plays right). Actually she may have put the small horn on top so it looks like a left handed played right. There’s some writing so you can’t turn the painting upside down. She just didn’t realize at all.
    So the point of this pointless thread is to vote: does left look strange to you? If you actually play left then does right look strange? I’m just phrasing it as left to further marginalized you ;)

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know this Joe. I don't know what he does. I don't know what he lives on. But yes, lefty basses look weird.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    John Q. Public? Joe’s brother.

4. Nope!
    Nobody cringes at a picture of The Beatles when Paul (the first one or the second) has his neck going the other way.

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That’s because his bass is violin shaped so it doesn’t look wrong ;)

jd56hawk, wncBass and PWRL like this.
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If John Q Public watches bands with the same visual depth as they drive, I think a lot would not even notice. :woot:

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    It's been my experience that Joe Public (and his brother John Q.) don't have much of a clue when it comes to right handed vs. left handed basses; or guitars, either. To be perfectly honest, over the course of my 67 years, I've found them to be pretty much clueless - period.
    As for looking strange?
    Dano Longhorn.JPG '73 Ric 4001-2.JPG Broadkaster.JPG Eastwood Flying V.JPG Kramer 1.JPG Nope; lefties look perfectly normal to me... As for righties? No, they don't look "strange" to me. They just look useless, more than anything...:whistle:

Nick Danger, craigie and S-Bigbottom like this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Lefty who plays righty but it has nothing to do with looks; it’s so i have access to more than .000001% of the total worldwide bass production since time began.

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It is my experience that ever since Jimi Hendrix played Woodstock, no one would ever shake a stick at a lefty again, even if he just flipped the Strat. I have never heard anyone complain about their looks.

10. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Unless they play an instrument, a lot of members of John Q. Public have very little knowledge about how music is made and how musical instruments are used. Bass, acoustic and electric guitars are simply "guitars". They don't know which one makes which sounds. They don't know which ones play what parts. By their comments and questions it is obvious that they know basically nothing about creating music.

This is not to say that they don't like music. They do, they just don't know anything about it. In their defense, this is not unusual. They have simply not been exposed to music creation. They are not alone. I have been amazed at the number of musicians that are completely ignorant of how PA systems work and how to use them. People use computers and smartphones, but have no idea how they work or how to set them up for best results.

I don't think left-handed instruments look weird to most people. A guy is hold a guitar-shaped object. That is as far as their recognition goes.

Jim Nazium likes this.
  11. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    IMHO, as a lefty, that is the first thing I notice. But, the average JQP usually doesn't see any difference.

Nick Danger likes this.
  12. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Joe usually just asks me “why is your guitar so big”.

13. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    They look weird to me sitting on a stand. When being played they don't look weird.

But I agree that most non-guitarists don't know the difference and don't care. In fact when I see a picture of a lefty instrument on ebay I check to make sure it's not a right handed instrument with the picture flipped backwards. Lots of non-musician sellers who wouldn't notice if they flipped a photo by mistake.

14. Dude... have you never watched yourself in a mirror while playing bass?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't have a problem with the look of lefty axes. left-handed people, on the other hand, are usually shiftless and lazy --- so i give them wide berth.

:laugh:

dmt and jd56hawk like this.
  16. chazolson

chazolson

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    With bass guitars, depending on the shape, it either looks right (Macca) or weird.

Now, with uprights .... my primary sub for my jazz band plays upright left-handed on a bass strung backwards. That looks weird. He’s on the wrong side of the instrument.

craigie likes this.
  17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    They look weird to me sitting on a stand. When being played they don't look weird.

But I agree that most non-guitarists don't know the difference and don't care. In fact when I see a picture of a lefty instrument on ebay I check to make sure it's not a right handed instrument with the picture flipped backwards. Lots of non-musician sellers who wouldn't notice if they flipped a photo by mistake.

18. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I doubt if guitars matter to Joe Q and John P, but a left-handed piano would probably really screw them up.

jd56hawk likes this.
  19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    only is there's a silly walk involved..............

jd56hawk likes this.