1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do light gauge strings die quicker than heavier strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BMGecko, May 5, 2006.

1. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do light gauge strings die quicker than heavier strings? I wonder about this because I recently got a set of fairly liht gauge strings (I'm thinking the "E" string was a .95

I hadn't used strings this light for a long time, and it seemed that the strings died a LOT sooner than normal for me, and I usually use something like .105 "E" strings.

Just wanting folks thoughts on this...

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Not IME. For a while I had a Spector NS/2000, and I used Rotosound 66's in .040-.095 on it, and they lasted fine.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    for me, i find that thicker guages go first.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've spent about 5 years on .040 gauge, 10 years on .045 gauge, and maybe 3 years on .050 gauge. I haven't noticed a big change in string life amongst the gauges, myself. This experience strictly reflects roundwound strings - I've only been playing flats for a year or so.

There's an awful lot of factors surrounding string life. This includes the player's style, the shelf life of the brand of string used, climate, the materials and methods used to make the strings, and the player's body chemistry. IME, these concerns are more important than gauge in regards to overall string life.