Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Lightweight Tuners affect your overall tone???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i'm still in the midst of building my little jazz bass buddy, and have finally narrowed everything down to the tuners.

I wanna go hipshot, but want to go with the newer lighter weight hipshots, rather than the vintage styled american classic. would going with a lighter tuner affect tone??? will i lose sustain cause of the lighter tuners??

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No. It's only important that the tuners work correctly.

3. Actually the weight can have some effect. More weight adds more sustain, if weight didn't have any effect they woulden't have that clamp sustain thing that you attaches to your headstock. Now will it have a lot of effect, probobly not, but it will have some.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't heard of this product. Where can I find one?

I have heard of a clamp, however, that you clamp on your headstock that SUPPOSEDLY helps shift the resonant frequency of your bass' neck to help eliminate the presence of dead spots.

I don't think you'll notice a difference in tone with different tuners. If heavier tuners made a difference, why are Hipshot Ultra-Lites so hot with top luthiers?

5. I dunno where it can be found... I've just heard of it. One reason they are popular with luthiers are because they allow better balencing of the bass. Also the lack of metal also allow the tonal properties of the wood to sound through better.

6. actually, I think that lighter tuners are BETTER re. deadspots, as lighter tuners raises the resonant frequency,and shifts the deadspot up the neck towards the bridge- and they become less noticeable as the neck is stiffer there due to the shorter length between fretted note and bridge.

if the neck is reasonably rigid, lightweight tuners won't cause a deterioration in tone.
    I've got Hipshot Ultralite tuners on my Warmoth P bass, and the sustain is much better and there's only a slight deadspot at C#, compared with my Fender P Plus, which has very heavy Schaller cast tuners, and has deadspots at A# on the D string:(, and at A# and B on the G string:(:(.

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the "clamp" is called the "fat finger". BP had a little paragraph about it once, they said it works. I also think i remember seeing them in Musician's Friend, but i've never tried or used one.

I thought that the only reason you'd want lightweight tuners in the first place would be to eliminiate neck-dive. Do you think your bass will be neck-heavy?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thanks guys!

i love coming home and finding all the reply messages in my inbox!

well, i do have a feeling that the bass might be neck heavy cause i asked Tommy over at USA custom for a light swamp ash body, and honestly, i'd rather have the weight shifted closer to the body than it be neck heavy. the neck i got from warmoth is average, so i dunno, i'm just being safe.

thanks for your help all.

9. Warmoth necks tend to be heavy due to the steel reinforcement bars, so I'd go with lightweight tuners for balance- the neck is rigid enough with the steel reinforcement- lots of sustain.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can get the 'finger @ Musicians Friend or I could just give you the finger?:D

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    There was also a product some years ago called a "Fathead" -- a brass plate the shape of your peghead -- that served the same purpose. I imagine it was less popular because installing it required removing all of the tuners, placing it against the back of the peghead, and reinstalling everything on top of it to hold it in place.

I suppose that a well-built neck should not have the dead-spot problems that "regular" (read: Fender-style) single-trussrod necks have. I'm guessing that the Warmoth neck should fill the bill -- they spent quite some time developing their reinforcing bars.

My advice would be to go with the lightweight tuners.