1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do looks/aesthetics of the instrument matter to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gigglingbuns, Apr 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM.

1. Yes

545 vote(s)
    95.6%
  2. Yes, only when we talking about value

7 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. No

18 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Would you pay extra for an instrument that looks more pleasing?
    I'm currently in this situation, and I've always been told to buy something that will motivate me enough to pick up everyday, I have no problem of practicing daily, but at the end of the day, I'm a sucker for something aesthetically pleasing.

Is it any wise to buy a model with better aesthetics (it's alder/flame maple top vs. mahogany). The electronics hardware + neck are identical, it's just the body wood is different.

TRBX605 (approx 8.4) $650:
    Screenshot_5.
    TRBX505: (approx 9.3) $550
    Screenshot_6.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM
  2. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    Of course aesthetics are important. You should play something that pleases your eye and meets your tastes, if you can afford it.

Relayer71, Fuzzbass, amper and 21 others like this.
  3. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    If I have a bass that I don't like the way it looks I can't pick it up to play it. On the other hand if I love the way a bass looks I will pick it up to play it even if I wasn't in the mood to play

amper, ScotRFM, Bassmike62 and 11 others like this.
  4. I go by the sound of it...call me crazy

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have four basses right now.
    I bought each one because of the way they looked.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do agree. However, it would be silly to imply that aesthetics don't matter to you AT ALL.

You go into a store. You play two of the same model bass. They both sound fantastic. The one with a paint job that looks like puke after eating chili and chocolate chip mint icecream sounds slightly better. You're walking out of there with the black one. ;)

H2okie, Relayer71, dmt and 26 others like this.
  7. maybe yes, but then its never happened to me

8. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Now here's my situation, identical electronics, basically everything is identical except the body material, one is solid mahogany, the other which is $100 more is alder with a flamed maple top. I've almost ripped my hair out trying to get closure with the tone-wood debate, I just need an answer now, more importantly a new bass now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    Simon Fretless and mikewalker like this.
  9. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yes. Of course it's personal taste and there's no accounting for taste. Example, I know they're iconic but I've always thought the P bass pickguard just looks stupid. Same for Teles. What's that ridiculous metal bar? But it's just me.

amper, TH63 and Gigglingbuns like this.
  10. get the more expensive one

11. I wish this were given in percentages, because I'm around 20% yes.
    I'm more about the functionality, lightweight, and easy maintenance, but looks do matter a little.

TBH When I was looking to buy a guitar late last year there was one lighter & more my style (looks-wise), but I bought the one that was a little heavier with the flamed maple top, because it has a better neck & it just sounds better, even with the same pickup set.

JimHouchin likes this.
  12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Uggos need not apply.

Truthfully, you never know what silhouette or paintjob could be hiding a really great collection of planks stuck together.

13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

If I want a certain look to my bass, I change it. Most of my bass ukes/mini bass guitars I've changed to fit a look. Here are a few originals with the modifications that were done.

Bass before and after 1024.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 8:43 PM
  14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Aesthetics does come into play here, but taken as part of the overall picture - how the bass plays, comfort, price and yes, looks. When you play on stage, or a jamming session, you kind of want the instrument to reflect a little bit of you and your tastes. Unless you're somewhat self-flagellating or belong to an emo band, you want something that is visually appealing to you.
    If you can afford it, go for one that also checks the aesthetics box- you'll thank yourself for it later on.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if the ax is really 'a keeper', then i might think about its looks:
    "hey, i love the way this ax feels...i think i'll do something about the way it looks."

i've never wanted to keep an ax because of its looks. looks = meaningless. look it up.

skaine likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get the one that looks the best to you. They'll both sound very similar. And you'll enjoy the one you're most proud of more.

amper and SoCal80s like this.
  17. I'd play an ugly instrument if it was less than 3 kg, sounded fabulous, had no neck-dive, quick-release bridge, 2x2 headstock, & was completely passive.

18. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    That is an impressive amount of work and some very cool results.I love the idea of a guitar sized bass, but I have neither the talent, the skills, or the patience to do that kind of work myself. That Epi Les Paul is killer!

19. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    those miniature basses above are so lovely!

Barticus and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The only reason I would buy a bass in a finish I don't particularly care for is if I find one that's heavily discounted or a great deal. For example, if I find a used jazz bass in a sunburst finish, (even though I'm not crazy about that finish) for half the going price of an average used jazz bass, I would buy it without hesitation. The price break justifies buying something that may not be my ideal finish - but as long as the playability isn't compromised, that's a no brainer. Also true for hard to find, rare basses, if I can find a rare bass within my budget, finish is less important than owning it.

amper, Glenn Mac, jamro217 and 2 others like this.