1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do looks/aesthetics of the instrument matter to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gigglingbuns, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Yes

545 vote(s)
    95.6%
  2. Yes, only when we talking about value

7 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. No

18 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Absolutely. To use a word I only learned for the first time here a few days ago, I’m an aesthete.

Passinwind likes this.
  2. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    London, UK
    I told people that when I visited Saudi Arabia and they tried to hang me.

I'll show myself out.

Templar likes this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    It's important to have the appearance set the visual tone as well as the instrument set the audible tone.

4. Not really, but I am not a fan extensive relics or clear finishes.

5. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    Aesthetics are a big fat yes to me, without a shadow of a doubt.

6. I wouldn't pay extra, but I also wouldn't even consider buying a bass that was visually displeasing to me.

7. If it has a beautiful action and sounds incredible, I’m good.

juggahnaught likes this.
  8. Ian Matthews

Ian Matthews

Dec 13, 2016
    UK
    Yes.. to a degree. Don't care about colours too much but I wouldn't want an ugly shaped bass. Pickup configuration is much more important for me. I bought my Jazz bass as it was the nicest Jazz and Fender I have ever played, I don't care too much for the sunburst.

9. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I basically want all of these. Nice work!!

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I bought my last bass despite the looks... it's an Ibanez SR 306. They only come in black, which is a color I've come to detest for instruments, the headstock and the body are ridiculously undersized in comparison to the aircraft carrier neck, the lower horn is a thorn in my side (literally).

But sound and playability trumped looks for me. I think the bonus difficulty was in finding a sixer under $500, but Ibanez really hit a homerun with their PowerSpan pickups. Their only fault is that they're not splitcoils. But it's a close second.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’d prefer what I play to look nice. But I don’t insist on it. Looks are down around number five on my list of priorities for a bass. And my bass assemblage pretty much bears that out. I’ve only got two basses (a D’Angelico and a Willcox) that have what I’d consider cover girl looks. Everything else I own (and what I mostly play) is pretty standard and/or utilitarian in appearance.

Like most players, I admire pretty looking basses. But I seldom buy them. And when I do, I buy them for reasons other than their looks.

juggahnaught and JRA like this.
  12. I look for basses that are nice in color and appearance. Something I'll be comfortable pulling out of the case in any situation. I'm not a big fan of "Museum Piece" basses (I like them but wouldn't pay extra for fancy finishes and gold hardware, etc.) as I would probably be upset if something were to happen to it.....which means it would probably end up hanging on a wall at my house....as if it were in a 'museum'.....instead of being played.

dmt, Patrick Helmes and juggahnaught like this.
  13. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    I really need this new instrument, the one I have right now was abused by the previous seller so major problems came up, so the bass I'm buying I plan on keeping it many years, I could buy it used, but I'd prefer to have some sort of warranty to protect it, I'm not sure which retailer is best known for customer service and fufilling it (Sweetwater?)

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well there you have it - and no getting around it.

If that’s the case with you, then you’d be foolish not to spend the extra money if you can afford it.

Get the pretty one.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Of course. It's called Show Business, not Talk Business. [​IMG]

Templar likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

over three hundred poll votes and the overwhelming majority (statistical unanimity) say that "looks matter." how shallow! :laugh:

this guy doesn't care...and he's on tour with your favorite band! 00 images2b3.
    linkin park.

:laugh: :thumbsup: save for the bridges: i have two like that...and they are both plenty ugly!

skaine and Killed_by_Death like this.
  17. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Yes, course. Everyone knows black basses sound better.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Sweetwater’s customer service is among the best I’ve ever encountered. You can buy with confidence from Sweetwater.

If it’s going to be your long-term player, you might want to consider springing for a PLEK job on your frets when you order it. Sweetwater now offers that as a service.

Patrick Helmes likes this.
  19. Are they hollow-bodies?

20. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    I wouldn't whine about a finish, but maybe that's what I am doing, it sounds like the weight reduction of about a pound + the pleasing wood grain is worth the $100 for many people here. But yea it's all about preference.

ImaStupidBaby likes this.