1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do make say think fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maybe, May 11, 2010.

1. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008

Bass starts at around 0.38.
    I've been thinking of switching to fretless or defretting my yamaha rbx170. I dig that fretless tone but I really don't know anything about different basses and tones (the yahama is the only bass I have played so yeah :rolleyes:).
    Well, I would like to know what kind of bass gets close to that tone. I read somewhere that it's an F-bass but they seem very expensive to me. Just want to know if there are any cheaper alternatives. Any kind of help would be appreciated.
    (I can't try out any basses cause where I live there are no worthwhile music shops)

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    do make say think fretless

3. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    vat :eyebrow:

4. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    The title of the youtube video is do/make/say/think, so I guess that's the reason for the OP's choice of title. :)

As for the question, most fretless basses will be able to make a similar sound as the one in the video. You don't need an expensive bass to get started. I usually recommend the Cort Curbow 4FL for a cheap fretless, because it's one of the nicests fretless basses I've played in the lower range market. But a Squier Jazz fretless will also probably give you a lot of bass for the money.

I would not recommend defretting your bass for obvious reasons... you might want to keep a fretted bass, too. :)

Good luck :)

5. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    Yeah it's the band's name, I didn't realise how it actually looked like as a thread title :p
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those ;)

6. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz fretless gets a lot of really good press around here. Although I haven't played one myself (I play a Stingray 5 fretless), I have to believe it's a good bass given the praise it receives from experienced players who own much more expensive instruments. I think it's around $300 from Musican's Friend.

If you want to take the fretless plunge, absolutely buy a purpose-designed instrument and leave your Yamaha fretted. I play fretless as much as I can, but there are times when I absolutely need to move to fretted in the course of a gig... so don't shoot yourself in the foot by defretting!

7. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Not going to add much to this thread other than DMST are one of my favorite bands :) And they have an interesting rythm dynamic worth checking out.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+100000000.... etc.

This is a great bass for $299. Do a search.

I own vintage Fenders and many other higher end basses and have been gigging with my Squier VM fretless a lot lately....

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I picked up a Squier VM fretless for $150 locally off CL. Slamming deal! Thing plays like a $300-$700 bass. I highly recommend

10. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    its a typical fretless sound.
    i guess a lot of basses can bring you that kind of sounds.

my mij squier sounds almost like this one in the video.