1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do Manufactures' give ETA of instrument arrival?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmone, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I'll keep this short. I ordered a Lakland Skyline bass from a local shop which I was told would arrive in February. February 2nd I called the store and spoke to the rep who sold me the bass and simply said "Hey man, I'm not in a rush but can you just give me an ETA or some other details of when I can expect it". Said he'd speak to his purchasing department and get back to me. Haven't heard anything. I tried circumventing the guitars department when I call the store but I can't speak to the purchasing department as a customer.

Basically ... is this information the store should know or did my request just fall on deaf ears?

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Yes, the store can call the distributer and get an ETA but.....you're relying on a salesman getting an answer from the purchasing dept who in turn may need an answer from the importer and/or manufacturer and any or all answers may be suspect depending upon availability or interpretation.
    When - in cases like this - it takes 3 or more people to get an answer it can take time and go south pretty easily. Call your store again, give a friendly reminder to the salesman and hope for the best.

jmone likes this.
  3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Google “telephone game” and take anything they say to you with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

SirMjac28 and mikewalker like this.
  4. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Having never purchased a bass this way, I am speaking from a distance. In my office if one of my sales staff doesn't return a call the same day with good or bad news his neck is on the chopping block with me. I bet the shop's management would feel much like myself. I would step the game up and go to the fellows manager and explain nicely you have been awaiting an answer for two weeks.

fhm555, Spidey2112 and jmone like this.
  5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Working in the industry myself and talking with these manufacturers and distributors daily I can tell you getting an ETA (or any answers really) is often like pulling teeth. Couple that with the fact that hourly Sales people tend not to be the best at following up and there ya go. I've not worked with Lakland specifically so I comment on how they are, but certainly some brands are better or worse than others.

jmone likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This.

Although if I were to have a conversation with this manager it would be about cancelling my order and why that store will never have my business.

pcake, SirMjac28, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  7. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Yeah this really solidified the fact that I really don't understand the point of buying from a store again (specifically this store). I walked in, knew exactly what I wanted, explained all the customization options I wanted and they placed the order. There was no "selling" the sales person had to do.

8. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    If I don't have a call from the store by March 1st (good or bad) I'm walking in for a refund. I'm not speaking to anyone in upper managment, I'm not putting up a fight, nothing. I'll just order directly from Lakland - they always have their b-stock at a nice discount. Or may wait until the Sadowsky Metroline express are floating around. I have 0 patience to chase someone. I was never in a rush. I'm just annoyed.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You should be but why bother with this store at all? Was it a special bass or a special price?

jmone likes this.
  10. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Well there is ultimately a difference (at least in my place of work) between an hourly "sales" person and a proper commissioned sales rep. One has very real motivation to get to the bottom of your order the other...not so much. Having a good sales rep can still be quite handy.

jmone likes this.
  11. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Honestly, ya, if you can go to the manufacturer themselves than that's usually the fastest, but likely the cause of the delay is not the fault of the store.

jmone likes this.
  12. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Good price but that was never the deal breaker. I knew exactly what I wanted which also happened to be on sale. I'm holding out simply because as someone who works for a small business, if I custom order something for a customer and they change their mind - we're stuck on product we need to try and move.

Totally fair, I believe they are commission based because whenever I call they ask which rep I was dealing with and make me speak to him specifically.

I don't care if there's a delay. I understand delays. I just asked for be notified on the status.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I was in a PC Richard's last week with the intention of buying a Bluetooth speaker. The guy working the department abruptly told me he'd be right with me. Then for 10 minutes he was on the other side of the store chatting with co workers. I looked at the speakers, found one I liked, wrote down the model number and headed for the door. He approached me on my way out and asked if I needed help. I told him I might havr ten minutes ago before his chat. It's a buyers market. Retail stores barely need to exist any more. All it takes is the bare minimum of effort to get that commission. Just be there. He missed out.

GregC, Aqualung60, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  14. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Oh, well then ya, no reason to put up with that. A commissioned sales person should be all over that.

jmone likes this.
  15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Never tell them your in no rush. Because if your not in a rush, neither are they

16. George Himmel

George Himmel

May 16, 2009
    The east coast?
    Former Manager, Bass San Diego
    I hate to say it, but retailers rarely have a truly solid idea of how long a bass--especially a custom bass--is going to take to arrive when dealing with a smaller company. You might be talking to sales staff at the retailer, who might report to a sales manager or owner, or they might need to coordinate with a purchasing department (if it's a bigger retailer). But even if you talk with the person who communicates most closely with Lakland, they only deal with whomever is in charge of retail orders AT Lakland, who then in turn deals with production or (in the case of Skylines), overseas freight and/or production.

Honestly if the store can give you the month it should arrive, that's probably as much as they can responsibly promise until they get direct confirmation from shipping/customs/arrival at a distribution center. And then the best they can do is narrow it down. Very small companies can get pretty nimble and if they're REALLY on top of their production schedule they can probably narrow an ETA from a two month window down to the week once the bass is maybe a month out. If they're slightly bigger, it gets tougher because there are more teams and communications involved. Once they get properly big (e.g. Fender, etc.) they can usually be more specific because they have lots of basses coming out all the time, so they can shuffle products to meet delivery needs.

TLDR; the retailer's probably trying to do their best, but it's better for them to underpromise or stay nebulous because everything goes off the rails once they promise a date that they can't control. Basses come late and customers get irate.

jmone likes this.
  17. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Lakland Skylines are imported items from Asia and are under many possible causes for delay in arrival. It's not like shipping from Chicago to Boise by UPS. There could be unforeseen manufacturing delays, and any number of issues in the country of origin. Loading time, shipping time, processing time, and paperwork concerns could be simple and easy, or very complicated. Once the basses hit US shores, there's possible delays again with container acceptance, inspection, and more paperwork. Then, they have to get to the Lakland shop for final setup that adds more time.

With all this in mind, it's a very tall order to nail down an exact arrival date. I'd never order an imported item like this myself, but I'm impatient.

jmone likes this.
  18. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I get it - delays happen. I'm completely sympathetic to that. I would just like to be notified either a) it's coming on week x and we have confirmation that it's been shipped or b) they tried and they have no clue, it'll arrive when it arrives. I'd just like to be in the loop - that's all.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't but it. I totally get the idea of under promise and over deliver but this sounds more like whoever answered the phone couldn't be bothered.

jmone likes this.
  20. George Himmel

George Himmel

May 16, 2009
    The east coast?
    Former Manager, Bass San Diego
    Maybe. But we're listening to an interpretation of a sentiment, followed by our own interpretations of that interpretation. That's a lot of original signal loss. I don't know, maybe it's my bias because I've been on the other side of that phone call so many times. I always cared, and I often couldn't provide a straight answer.

SaxBass and mikewalker like this.