Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do marching band shows count as gigs?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The Liberty High School Marching Patriots (shameless plug) had our first show last night... We played "Baba O'Riley (teenage wasteland)" by The Who, "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen, and "Schools out for Summer" by Alice Cooper.

I was pretty nervous.... the pit was playing in the quad until about the 10:00 mark in the 2nd, then we pushed all our stuff out to the field and onto the track to wait for the show to start... I we were having a group discussion, then Jessica (El Uber Sexy) came to talk to me, so that calmed me down quite a bit... We saw these two kids making out, so we threw ice at them. (Aren't we sooooo punk?)

Then it was time to go and play....

I start pulling my bass, amp, keyboard amp, and extension cords out to the 50... plug in and am done tuning about 8 bars into teenage wasteland... but thats ok, I have a 16 bar rest.

After I come in, and and have played a few bars, all the nervousness goes away, and it was suddenly fun, and not nerve racking.

We get through teenage wasteland perfectly... (think, I couldnt hear the horns so I just assumed i was on time) then we start hot for teacher, and I play it just fine... the marimbas were having trouble... but ya. The only time I could even be heard was during the marimba/bass only parts... so that was probably a good thing.

Then the horns did schools out.... and they ruled. no one else has the music for schools out, so we got to sit there and look purty.

It was our first show, it was a stand still, and we didnt have to wear our uniforms... it ruled.

Oh, and is playing in front of 1000+ people for your first time playing bass in front of people and not flipping out an accomplishment or anything?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a gig, fer sure.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Someone please 'splain to me why people play bass and guitar during marching band shows. They're not marching. They shed their uniforms. Nobody can hear their (relatively) puny amplifiers since one bass amp couldn't possibly fill a sports stadium or field. I'm always baffled when I see this.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Because. The guitar players are in Pit. No one in Pit marches...

And I am not playing through a puny amp... We have a carvin PA system that is like 5000w total, plus 2 1x18 subs, 2 1x15's, and 2 cabs that have 2x15's and 2x8's and a horn... so ya.

And I am running my peaveyTNT through that, plus I might add a 2x12 to my TNT soon... so ya. who said anything about puny?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry, Mike. Nobody hears it. But it's still a gig, so you got that going for you.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Good job, MM.

;)

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Again, so why part of a MARCHING band??? I just don't get it, I guess.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't miss marching band; dam near ruined my trumpet chops!!

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    well, i guess technicly I am in percussion ensemble... and we play with the marching band... ya.

10. Sounds like you had a blast :) Never saw anything like a bass in a marching band tho...is that a typical US thing?

11. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nope, it's not all that common it seems. In Michigan at least. I'm in a division I competing band, and we keep things pretty standard as far as instrumentation and color guard goes (just Trumpets, Mellophones, Trombones, Baritones, Tubas, Flutes and clarinets, drum line, just mallet instruments and a bass drum in pit, no rediculous looking props in colorguard :D).

I've been having a lot of fun with band so far. We've already played at 3 football games and 1 competition, and we're doing pretty well (6th in the state). Our music arrangement is really good too, we're playing Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. It's looking like we're gonna do pretty well this year...

12. Blame us drum & bugle corps for starting this trend back in the early 80s. People used to strap on timpani (smaller, fiberglass ones, I assume) and smaller keyboards and march with them, until someone realized that hey, that's pretty stupid. They don't project, they're crippling our youth, and they end up spending most of the time near the front of the field anyway. Let's put them on the front sideline. Wish I had a pic of someone with marching timps to demonstrate the horror.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Here is me warming up before the game.... ya.

me = sex

[​IMG]

14. dumnut

dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    I played 4th bass drum in marching band. Never knew pain until I marched several miles in the hot sun in uniform with that freaking thing on. Shows are fun, parades just suck.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    True dat.

I was in marching band my freshman year of high school. It was a bunch of fun. We were 260 members strong and kicked some ass. Didn't have a bass or guitars though.

16. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I hear ya on the nervous part Mike. Im first in line for trombones in marching band, first chair for concert band...And I play bass for jazz band. Since my teacher is also a bass player he sticks me up front and cranks up my bass :) . I was nervous the first time marching but realized it wasnt that hard. The jazz concert was the hardest of my life. But during a lil break we had, I got to a short 5 min solo that I wrote, everyone was quiet till I was done with the slap part. All the cheers made me feel like it was right for me. Once you get going, its addictive, belive me. Your lucky ass gets to play bass for marching band, i gotta wait till marching season is over to play bass infront of the school again. Then i get all the chicks again LoL!

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    damn, your school must be rich as hell! you can afford all those PA systems and equipment, man our school doesn't even have a PA system right now. Our art budget is like $1/kid for the whole year, and all of my favorite teachers are getting laid off-it sucks.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    we got it all in previous years before the damned budget cuts... *cough* davis *cough*

19. enzyme

enzyme

Feb 4, 2003
    Well IMO no money = no gig. Did you get paid? If the answer is yes then it counts.

20. MonkForHire

MonkForHire

Oct 5, 2003
    If you guys wanna talk about useless, I play mellophone in the marching band *ack* The most untunable instrument ever...