Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do MM Basses Sound Compressed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Benner, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I've played a number of different basses in my 10 years of playing but this is the first time I've played and bought (bought & played? :) ) a Music Man style of bass,... a OLP MM-3 5 string with the single Music Man humbucker and passive electronics.

When I play the bass by myself it's seems normal, but when I get it into the band situation it sounds compressed,...I reeeally have to dig in to get a line to come out. The last couple of practices it's been bass straight into my SWR WM combo at about 25 - 35% power,... no lights or limiters flashing.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just wondering if this is a normal characteristic of a MM syle bass?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know if compressed is the word you are looking for but

if you are saying it doesnt cut through the mix, i would try boosting your mids.

3. Definitely.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    An OLP has drastically different electronics than a "real" Ernie Ball/MusicMan bass. Just because the body shape is the same, don't expect them to sound the same.

FWIW, my SR5 is not compressed at all, and my former Modulus Q6 with Bartolini's was much more compressed. The SR5 is raw in comparison.

5. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    my stingray has no problem cutting through...but it is active and has a very aggressive pickup

6. My Sterling has a sound that almost could be called compressed because the nuances of the pickups are so apparent. I've not heard such overtones in a live bass set up like the Sterling. I don't know if this contributes to the discussion, but I think becasue the MM pickups sounds so damn good, different and loud, it may sound compressed, or like another bass would sound if compressed.

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I know what you mean.

I think you are experiencing a output that is a tad bit too hot.

Try lowering your pickup a bit.

If that doesn't work you are just having issues with the tone of your bass. (I have a 4-string OLP) In the right setting it does an absolutely fantastic job As a Stingray. in others it falls a bit short.

I haven't quite figured out why yet.

Give it a go and let us know.

:D

Joe.