Do Moogists even exist anymore?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 29, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm searching for a female moogist.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The keyboardist from The Anniversary plays a Moog, and she's pretty cute, too. ;) The keyboardist in Thursday also plays around with a Moog.
  3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    What is a moog? It sounds pretty interesting.
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Moogs are like keyboards with pull out cables for effects. (I may be wrong)

Jonny of Radiohead uses one. The Rentals used one alot. They can really add some nice sounds.
  5. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Moog is the brand name of one of the first analog music synthesizer manufacturers. The company's founder was Bob Moog, who I believe went on to found Kurzweil.
  6. o/t thursday has a keyboardist? since when?
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    It was Ray Kurzweil who founded Kurzweil... ;)

Bob Moog has been making theremins and Moogerfooger effect pedals under the Big Briar name for several years. He recently re-acquired the Moog Music trademark, and is making an updated version of the MiniMoog called the Voyager.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out Pamelia Kurstin. Best theremin player since Claire Rockmore.
  9. A little Moog trivia. What is the first commercial rock & roll song to feature the use of a Moog synthesizer?

I'll check back later with the answer if anyone's interested.
  10. A friend of mine plays a moog.. yup
  11. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I'm gonna go with "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter.
  12. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm guessing something by the Beach Boys. I know that they were the first pop act to use a theremin.
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Another bit of info for Moog neophytes:

the "OO" in "Moog" is not pronounced like "food", but rather "Mogue", like the magazine "Vogue"

As you were.

By the way, does anyone have the cd "The world of Moog" with all those Moog tracks?
  15. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I would say Lucky Man - ELP.
  16. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I knew he was involved with Kurzweil in some way... Apparantly he was "a full-time consultant and Vice President of New Product research for Kurzweil Music Systems" from 1984 to 1988.
  17. No one has it yet. I'm going to let this hang a little while longer, unless you're really dying to know, then you can email me or something. I know there's some serious recordheads hanging around this forum, so I'm hoping one of them might stumble across this.

As a small hint, it was a pretty popular American pop act from the late 60's, but the song is one of their more obscure ones; it certainly wasn't one of their blockbuster hits.
  18. Eh, guess no one was that interested. The answer, for those of you playing at home, was The Monkees, "Daily Nightly", according to my sources.