Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do most venues give you a PA for your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaM90, Jul 9, 2005.

1. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    When you play a gig does the place usually supply a PA system for your amp?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

No. Almost never.

Heck, my *bands* don't provide PA for my bass... it's for vox, drums, and (sometimes) guitar.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    depends on the area...here in Eugene, Oregon...yes.
    all the large venues and most small places have a house system...but you will have to bring your own DI for the small clubs.

4. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    I always bring an appropriate sized bass rig unless I'm specifically told not to bring an amp. One time I had a bar owner tell me he didn't want to send bass through his shiny new PA because it would break the speakers. You just never know.

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Most night clubs that have more than one band playing per night on a regular basis will provide a P.A. system and a soundman. Usually it's the original and/or tribute bands that play these types of gigs.

However, most bars that hire one band to play all night (such as a cover band) usually aren't equipped with a P.A. and expect the band to bring their own. Whether or not you need to run your bass through the P.A. will depend on the place your playing.

There are obviously ALWAYS exceptions, but that has been my experience through the years.

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Agreed, Dave. That's generally how it works here in Boston as well.

7. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    If the size of the club, and the number of people they expect to bring in warrants it, any club will have to have a House system- stage plots call for it, and most road bands don't carry their own sound man and system.
    I realize that some do- That's a good thing, to have that kind of control---!
    The other concern is how good the FOH man is-
    I've had the pleasure of working with some who mix an incredibly phat and complimentary bass tone for me, and set up monitors that let you REALLY hear the mix, and believe me, it helps you do your job-
    I've worked with others who have no business handling a DI, too!
    Most neighborhood bars and watering holes with smaller crowds may have a small, club system, and you either have to work it yourself or carry your own system to the venue.

Best advice- always know beforehand what to expect and bring, have your stage plot prepared as well.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Most of the time, yes...clubs provide a PA.

About 20% of our shows, we bring or hire a PA.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, but if they do, we usually use mine instead. Most of the house systems around here are Carvin with lots of B-word processors and sound pretty much like stank.

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I'm from the Boston area (North Shore). ;)

Just moved to Florida last September.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Easy question. If they're not paying you enough so you can afford to own a PA they'll make you provide one. If they are paying you enough so that you can afford to own a PA they'll have their own.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Heh. Very true!

Lately, gigs where we have to bring one, I bump our price up by $250 though. It's been working nicely...

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Same here. I have a DB750 for a reason.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

that has to be one of the most profound comments I've ever seen on talkbass.

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    No! Hence, the need for this:

16. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I go to most shows with either my Preamp and tuner in a small rackcase or just a DI. It's rare that I have to supply backline. For the most part my amps are just collecting dust while P.A.'s do all the work. (Don't tell Aguilar. They might get mad!)

17. What an awesome answer!

18. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Most of the time we have a nice PA, and our rigs are really just for stage sound. Of course if they have a nice PA they usually have enough monitors too. Which sucks further because we just hauled a few hundreds pounds of gear in that really only serves to make us look less weird on stage.

19. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    FOH PA, yes.
    Foldbacks for the drummer designed to put out bass, yes.
    Foldbacks for the bassist designed to handle bass, no.
    Hence the need for us to cart around the bass rig which is in essence a glorified foldback.

Most soundmen will also not mic' the cabs. The odd soundie has insisted that the DI go between the bass and my amp, for the "natural sound". They don't seem to understand that my distortions come from the preamp.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Most venues around here don't have a PA.
    We frequently play rural fests, small villages, stuff like that.
    Bars usually don't have any.
    I ended up buying my own so I wouldn't rely on somebody else.