1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Musicmasters always have bad neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sears, Jun 1, 2014.

1. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I was crestfallen to drive a ways yesterday and find that the Musicmaster I was excited about buying had bad neck dive. The headstock was pointing to an area two feet to the left of my left foot. It was 8 lbs or so and the later style tuners.

I currently play an 8 lb Bronco. With a vinyl Couch strap it dives to 15-20 degrees above parallel with the floor.

I like the 1.625" nut width better. Is the skinnier neck and smaller headstock on the Bronco just enough to give it playable ergonomics? Or are there Musicmasters out there that balance like my Bronco and I should keep looking?

2. I guess some do, I have a MM I am selling and it doesnt have neck dive. None of the ones I have owned have had neck dive and I have had 3. Maybe its your strap.

3. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Maybe I got unlucky. My strap may not hide neck dive but does it really cause it? My Bronco has very little with the same strap and that's why I posted the comparison.

4. Well I have no idea about the strap you described but a cheapo thin nylon strap like a Ernie ball $3 strap will cause neck dive more then a thicker one. Straps do come into play with neck dive.