Do neomydium(sp?) cabs have a higher tendency to

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Blow up when cranked up really loud?

I mean, do the magnets get hotter, or are they prone to overheating, ect. I have about enough money for a neo avatar 410 and I need some cabs soon, and I was wondering if putting a lot of watts and volume into it would cause these particular speakers a lot of damage?

(and once I get this cab, I'm gonna sell my current 410 and get another 410(another neo avatar if I like it) or perhaps a 1x15 or 2x12.
  2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I wouldn't be overly worried about overheating a neo driver. A properly designed driver will have other methods of heat dissipation that will help keep magnet heats low enough so as to avoid damage. I own a Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 that has an Eminence neo driver in it. I've worked this thing hard and played somewhat loud gigs with it. There have been no issues. That particular driver uses a vented dust cap on the cone, and a phase plug that acts as a heat sink for the magnet. I imagine this cooling method works quite well.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think I've heard of any magnet-related problems with a neo speaker. There may be the odd overexcursion, but that happens to all drivers when they're asked to do too much.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There was an extensive thread on this last month. The conscensus was that even when run hard, neos are designed to be OK. Search for the thread, nice info there, a good education.