1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do new strings need new set up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by synapse1fpa, Jun 28, 2012.

1. synapse1fpa

synapse1fpa

Jun 28, 2012
    I bought a used steinberger that came well set up with 50 - 105 strings and I was wondering if I want to change them to 45 - 100 if I can just put the new strings in or will the bass need to be reset up for the lighter gauge.

thanks

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yes, set it up for the new strings.

3. diferenet gauge, different tension to be at pitch.
    The easy way to test is to fret a 12th fret note, then play the harmonic at the 12th fret. Listen for a difference, or use a good tuner to see if its flat or sharp.

4. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Same brand & gauge, no.

Change brand, gauge, or both, yes.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    of course, i believe steinbergers have no truss rods, so there's not so much "setting up" to be done anyway.

6. synapse1fpa

synapse1fpa

Jun 28, 2012
    OK thanks for the replies.

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

I'd even say change type . . .like NCS (nickel coated steel) to Steel, same manufacturer and gauge - do a set up.

Often It'll be little tweaks for some or all strings. If I change strings, even if they are the exact model as before - check action & intonation. Strings change as they wear. Don't assume the neck changing over a few months playing won't matter when you change strings. A 1 minute check will give you instant feedback on whether you are good to go, or need a few tweaks.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Put strings on. Check relief, then action then intonate. Tweaks may or may not be necessary. A set up is required IF it's required; nothing more or less; it is needed or it isn't, pretty simple. You need to check this all before you put it back into service after ANY string change; it takes seconds to check for buzzes, etc. Changing gauges usually requires a setup. As Walter said, if there's no trussrod, all you can do is check action and intonate.