Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do not get arrested in New Orleans Parish.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Apparently my license was suspended because the Covington Police don't keep their records up to date. To make a long (not interesting) story short, I got a letter from the Clerk of Court stating that I had in fact paid the ticket which I was suspended for supposedly not paying in 2002. I was going to take this letter to the reinstatement office the next day (today), pay the silly reinstatement fee, and then stuff would be dandy.

So I'm driving in N.O. trying to take care o' some crap, and I run a red light, if you want to call it that. I would argue that the light wasn't yellow as long as it should have been, but I don't think there's any point. I explained to the police about the letter from the clerk of court and how I was almost reinstated and how my license was only suspended due to bad record keeping anyway, but they hand-cuffed me and took me to jail. Jail in N.O. sucks. There were so many people crammed in one holding tank I had to wake a guy up so I could pee, cuz he was sleeping on the urinal. My friends finally bailed me out at 5am, only because one of them remembered that my last name is spelled incorrectly on my driver's license. I'm so sleepy.

EDIT: Orleans Parish......the new is silent

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What does the misspelling have to do with your friends deciding to bail you out?

brad cook

3. They had been trying to bail me out, but couldn't because they were spelling my name properly.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, a criminal! :D I hope you work this out. I've been arrested because I paid a fine, but they had no record of it. After I posted bail, the county clerk asked if she could photocopy my receipt for their records. :rollno:

5. I have a friend who went wondering about the country for about 6 months, and he said N.O. was the worse place he's ever been.

Maybe he got arrested...

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What do you mean... Was it red, or not? Was it some shade of mauve, or what? Traffic laws are very specific when it comes to this,,, red means stop. Not coast thru, if you think you won't get caught.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean its not fact. Case in point, I hate paying taxes... probably much more than you hate stopping for red lights, but I'm sure as hell gonna pay 'em every year.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stepping out from the world of black & white, he could've gone through a yellow light and been cited for running a red light. It happens.

8. When it turned red, my front bumper was past the light, but I still saw it turn red very shortly. I know it seems only logical to assume that all traffic lights stay yellow for the same amount of time, but there was one in my area that switched to where at night time it would be yellow for nearly a minute, and then it would only be red for a few seconds. It has since been fixed, but based on that experience, I wouldn't doubt that this particular light was in need of some adjustment. I'm only saying it's a possibility, though, because I was being cautious, as usual, and I'm not claiming to be highly knowledgable about traffic lights. :meh:

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ROFLMAO...

Hey, I guess I'm just busting your chops, because cops will bust you for merely LOOKING like you're doing something wrong... So, I guess my point is, why cut it that close.

When someone has authority to enforce laws, it simply doesn't pay to try & play the whole, maybe game...

To you, its may, or may NOT be black & white, but you're not in control of the judgement. Someone else is, & typically enforcement agents are VERY black & white when it comes enforcement.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont know if its different in the USA, but in Australia the amber light means "come to a stop if you can". You are not supposed to go through an amber light if you can stop in time (IIRC people have been booked for speeding up for amber lights).

11. I don't mean this as a gripe and I'm not saying they absolutely shouldn't have pulled me over necescarily, but eight hours in jail wasn't for the light nearly so much as for the driving under suspension. And my license never should have been suspended to begin w/.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

While that is certainly the safe and sensible way of doing things I rarely ever think of the words "safe" and "sensible" when around San Diego drivers.

13. ....or New Orleans for that matter (speaking for myself

They had a bail bondsman in there, his name was on a list by the phones. He was saying he had been in that line of work for 17 years and had never seen so many people in one holding tank (Gee maybe that's because they seem less crowded from your office ). Everyone had to know what the bail bondsman was in there for. Apparently h e was charged w/ lude behavior for pissing on his own car in the quarter.

Look at me, I'm a bad mother, give me your cornbread. :eyebrow:

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Everywhere around the US is a little different in the general acceptance of the ACTUAL traffic laws and what is practiced. Generally most places in the US people will try to get through the light while it's yellow even if it means speeding up to do it (as Gallagher says "3 people get through on the yellow light. 3 PEOPLE!!! If the light turns yellow and you're three cars back in the intersection GET OUT THERE!!!!") My wife spent some time In Pensylvania a while ago and it was the strangest thing I've ever seen. EVERYONE there jumps the green light (E.G. assume you are at a standard intersection stopped at a red light. Typically the other direction in the intersection will have it's light turn yellow, then red, and after it turns red your light will turn green and you can go. THEY DON'T WAIT. As soon as the other light turns yellow they go!!!???? I was sitting there at the light going "WHAT THE F*%&!!!???" when the cars in front of me and beside me took off, and everyone behind me was honking impatiently and the light was still red. I'm not going back there, those people are NUTS!!!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I did have plans on going to New Orleans and getting arrested UNTIL I read this thread. Thanks medic8ed!

brad cook

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For the record, i've been to New Orleans and I didnt get arrested.

Carry on.

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, I lived there for 20 years, never once got arrested!

...hey medic8ed, you a Northshore guy? Where at? I grew up in Slide-hell...still got family there, will be there for Christmas.

18. Gard, I guess you could say I mainly operate in the northshore area currently, but I live in the country. My address is in Bush, but the signs say "Union Grove." No one knows why. I used to live in Slidell, but only for a short time. I lived in Lacombe for years, though. Oh, memories.... :)

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Been to New Orleans a bunch of times over the years. I've never been arrested, but I've seen a couple of people get taken down for stupid behavior during Mardi Gras. Some people just get too drunk/stupid for their own good!

I absolutely HATE driving in N.O. That place is just a nightmare to drive in IMO. It's a fun place to hang tho.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

:eek:

They hang you too?! I'm definitely staying the hell outta there!

brad cook