Do NOT rent Uhaul...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    After more than a week of moving hell, I'm finally in Cleveland. My girlfriend and I started packing our Uhaul at night on the 17th. We live in CT, which means it was about 8 degrees the entire night. Sixteen hours later (and I had spent the previous 12 hours cleaning the apartment :rolleyes:), we get in the truck-and it doesn't start. Guys came to fix it, it started, it broke down again three miles later. Guys came to fix it, it broke down again five miles later on the side of the highway, leaving us stranded for over an hour in the cold. We had to stay at my girlfriend's mother's house with no clothes while the truck was being repaired. Go to get the truck once it was repaired, and it breaks down twice in four miles, leaving us stranded on the highway AGAIN. Amongst many other problems, the brake motor was shot, and the emergency brake was frozen down. At least four guys who were paid by Uhaul to fix their trucks said Uhauls are bad news.

We had to get a moving company to unload our truck into their truck, and then drive it to Cleveland while we drove the car, and then spent the next day moving my girlfriend's twin brother into his new apartment. Oh, and there's about a foot of snow on the ground. Ugh. So there's like a million junk emails that stopped new ones from getting in, and a zillion new TB threads for me to paruse. So, anything happend here as of late?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Awwww, but CAN i brian? i really wanted to. Man, that sounds like the most bunk Uhaul place in the world to me. Nah, SCREW THEM! RYDER BABY!!!! RYYYYDDDERRR.

As far as goings on, washburn started crap, got himself a nice "Banned" sticker, and i'm about to hit 2k.....woopy. oh yeah, some dude stole a MTD from NAMM. right from under Mr Tobias's nose.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    welcome back! Whew...I think my stress level went up 3 notches just reading that...hope all is settling down for you. I will certainly remember your warning about UHaul---sounds like you got the "lemon" truck for sure.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yeah, even the Uhaul repairmen told us to rent Ryder, or Pensky. As far as the lemon truck, the repair shop had a whole line of the bigger Uhauls in their car cemetary. I guess a lot of dealerships just don't do regular maintenance on a lot of them. The NAMM thing is kinda funny; judging by the size of Mike Tobias' beard, he hasn't been able to see under his nose in decades :D
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    3 months ago m'lady and I were moving from Sonoma back to San Francisco, a close move, about 50 miles or so. We made the reservation for a 14' van from Uhaul and drove to our destination.

First problem was that we couldn't find the Uhaul location. We knew the address, having copied it down from the Yellow Pages, but couldn't find it. In it's place was a convenience store. So we searched. We stopped at an adjacent coffee house and they explained that the Uhaul was inside of the convenience store! Bizarre.

Now, the Uhaul and the convenience store share one clerk. So we went to the clerk, as if we were buying slushies, and gave him our reservation number. He said that it would be a moment and made a phone call. We looked outside and saw one 14' van, and nothing else. No other Uhaul vehicles. We knew that this one was ours, and was just waiting for the man to do what he needed to do.

Unfortunately, everytime someone else came up to the cashier to buy cigarettes and a fifth of vodka, (at 9am, not kidding), he would put down the phone to ring them up.

After 15 minutes of him on the phone, we're upset. So we're asking him to tell us what's wrong. He won't. "Nothing's wrong."

Another 10 minutes go by and we press him for knowledge. He turns the phone over to us. It's a Uhaul central location. The lady rudely explains that we have to go to Napa to pick up our truck!!! Napa!!! It's 45 minutes away! My father is scheduled to be at our house in about 15 minutes to help us move. We can't go to Napa! Besides, we made our reservation.

The woman and I argue. The man is no help.

Now, I'm not a violent person. I'm really a bit of a Taoist, martial artist as well. Self-control is a strong suit. I was very close to hopping the counter and beating this man to death with the phone. Very close.

So the woman keeps arguing with me. So I try and level with her.

Me: "Look, my father's driven 100 miles to come help me move, he's going to be at my house in about 5 minutes now. I made this reservation 3 weeks ago, I have a reservation number. We have everything scheduled based upon this reservation. What am I supposed to do?"

Her: "I don't know."

Me: "Well, put yourself in my situation. Wouldn't you be upset?"

Her: "I can't do that."

Me: "Can't do what, put yourself in my situation??"

Her: "I've never moved."

Me: "You work for a moving company, yet you can't empathize with someone trying to move??? Do you see the irony?"

Anyway, basically what happened, is that the guy at Uhaul had only one truck. He made the reservation for me, and also reserved it, at the same time and place, for the same exact truck, for another person. Difference is that the other person was going to be using it, then returning it, we scheduled ours for a one-way trip. He didn't want to give it to us because then he would be out of a truck for a couple of days.

Me: "Do you actually understand what the word 'reservation' means? I do not think it means what you think it means. You should use a different word because reservation has a very specific meaning."

I argued with him for over an hour.

We got the truck.

Never, ever again.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Had my wife arrange for a UHaul last time we moved. Told her to pass on ALL of the optional insurance and 'services' they try to add to the rental fee. When I return the truck, the bill has the optional insurance and whatnot. The guy insists that my wife had agreed to this. I argued with him, knowing that my wife would never have made such a mistake, but he stood his ground. I relented and paid the bill, figuring that it must have been a dumb miscommunication between my wife and I. When I got home, my wife was adamant that she was very specific in her instructions when reserving the UHaul. My blood boiled.

I called UHaul's customer service number. It was made clear that I would have to hold for a very long time - and if memory serves it wasn't a toll-free number, either. I was not about to hold for a very long time. It was obvious to me that customer complaints were a VERY low priority to the UHaul organization.

My dad was friends with the owner of the business/Uhaul affiliate I was dealing with, and they both belonged to the same civic club. I called him as a courtesy to let him know that I was about to raise a massive stink by writing to the Better Business Bureau, UHaul corporate office, local Chamber of Commerce, and a number of other places, and fully planned to assail the man's character with every ounce of energy I had. He offered to speak to the guy, and he persuaded the guy to deliver a cash refund to him for the amount in question.

Given the lack of interest in my problem that the U-Haul customer service folks displayed, that will be my last U-Haul experience.

7. Now it's my turn for a story.

A couple years ago i was helping my Grandparents from Florida to Massachusetts and we to rent a large U-haul trailer (the two axel kind) and attach it to my van (1994 Dodge Ram half ton Wagon V8). I Didn't have a tow hitch on my van, instead i had a step-and-tow bumper. I knew there was going to be alot of weight in the trailer and i asked the U-haul rep. if this was going to be safe for a 1,400 plus mile trip and i was told "oh yeah, we do this all the time". So after we hooked up the trailer and backed into my grand parents driveway (i never drove with a trailer before and backing up was a b****!) we loaded up and left the next day.

All the way up we had no problems other than a couple creaks comming from the hitch. We get to the storage place near the new house and as we make the turn into a steep entrance the trailer completely removes the bumber and the brackets holding the bumper right out of the rear of my van!!:eek:

We call a friend to help us move the trailer out of the street and into the storage yard while i put my bumper into the rear of my car. we unpacked the trailer to find nothing had been damaged andwethen called U-haul to come get the trailer and i had AAA come get my car. We followed the U-haul truck with our trailer back to the U-haul place and showed the Manager what happened as a result of this incident. The manager was more than happy to write a report on this and had the insurancepay for the damages to my van. The next day we get a call from the Manager of the U-haul in florida saying that he had fired the employee who rented us the trailer and that the trailer is not rated to be used with a step-and-tow bumper. He gave us a very sincere appology and that was the end of it.

To say the least gross incompetence is every where and we will never rent from U-haul again.:mad: :mad:
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    [​IMG] @ UHAUL

9. I ALWAYS rent with Penske...
  10. Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    My band has rented U-hauls three times, and we have never had a problem.

The last time was at a car show, and we had the U-haul parked next to the stage right in the middle of a vintage car show. It looked quite funny.

We were calling it the ooo-ha-oool instead of a U-haul, just to try and make it sound cool.

The only bad experience I have had with U-haul was at this very same car show, just because I have a mental image of my guitar/sax player throwing up all day long, and sleeping in a feverish stupor in the cab of the ooo-ha-oool.

I like U-hauls.... IMHO
  11. when my parents rented a uhaul to move homes before i was brown, they were driving along the highway then all the sudden they hear a relaly loud ripping sound. the whole side of the uhaul is gone. i have apicture of it burried somewhere....we've never ented uhaul since.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You mean, you weren't always brown?!? :D ;)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Sounds like fun.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, you guys gotta remember that with any product, there will be lemons, dissatisfied customers, and stupid reps.

My family has used Uhaul a lot (from Alaska to WA, from WA to FL, and around in WA) and never had a single problem or bug with the people or the product.

But, that's the way things go.
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    :D To be more specific, no clothes but the grimy ones we had on for a week straight, and had to sleep in separate rooms, although the whole house was like 85 degrees.