Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do onboard active EQs allow you to forget about Amp settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Jul 10, 2003.

1. I've had my eye on the American Fender P-Bass Deluxe for a while now, but I've never played an active bass.
    The on board active 3 band EQ would allow me to change styles mid song, if need be, but would that mean I could just leave the amp flat? I have a 9 band EQ on my amp, which comes in handy, but isn't exactly quick to change during a set.

Secondly, does anyone here use this model and would you recommend it over the Mexican P-Bass Special (with the P/J PUs)?

2. What you are getting is essentially a way to boost signals. I find I still play a lot with my EQ on amp to boost my bass when I need to, but active controls on Fenders are pretty powerful. Obviously boosting the bass to full on your amp and on your bass is gonna sound a lot different then just on your amp. Your amp settings are very important too. However, it does a good job of changing the sound fairly well, and certainly a lot better then passive basses.

3. Basho

Basho Guest

It depends on how much of a tone junkie you are. You may find the 3-band inadequate for shaping your tone and want to continue to use your amp.