Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Onboard Preamps Add Gain?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EString, Jan 24, 2002.

1. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have a question about Aguilar and Bartolini preamps.

Even when they are set flat, do they add gain? By that I mean, if I ran the pickups passive, would they have the same amount of output as when I ran them through the OBP-1, NTBT, etc.?

Is there an inherent amount of gain associated with connecting an Aguilar of Bart pre?

I think I heard that the Aguilar is supposed to not have any gain when set flat. Is this correct?

Also, Barts have a gain trim pot. Does this pot boost gain, as well as reduce it?

2. I would be comfortable saying that the Aguliar doesn't add "gain" to the signal and its probably the cleanest set flat in terms of coloring the signal. I don't have much experience with the Bart pre amps (I love the pick ups but haven't tried the pre amps yet)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In the Aguilar, is both pots off flat? I know it's boost only.

On my Lakland, I can set the gain on the preamp to match the passive volume. I'm sure other Bart preamps can do that. OTOH on my 84 Tobias 5 string, if you turn all three bands down there is no output.

Short answer... it depends;)