1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do others in your Life think you are crazy for all the gear you buy and sell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gt96g, Sep 30, 2008.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Just wondering if any others out there in bass land have had similar expiriances. My mom and my brother seem to think I am slightly crazy for all the purchases and sales I make related to bass gear. My brother is a guitarist so I tried to explain it to him but he dosen't get searching for tone. Guitarists have it so much easier. and my mom well she just won't ever get it. Any other similar expiriance with friends family's and band mates? I would appreciate knowing I am not the only case.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't buy because of a (c'mon, be honest, almost fruitless) search for "the tone to end all tones", but every once in a while I like trying something new and I'm perfectly willing to sell a bass I might like in order to try another. For one thing, it's kind of fun, but I also learn something from it.

I just bought a P5 in the For Sale forum the other day and when I asked my wife about it she rolled her eyes, asked how much it would cost if I factor in the bass I planned to sell, and said for that amount it's not a big deal. I don't do it all the time, maybe once a year or so, so I don't get any problems. My wife just reminds me that she doesn't trade clarinets like that and then once she rolls her eyes that's the end of it.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have a problem with this. I am under control now. People used to think I was a little crazy. I even had forum members call me to be sure I was thinking clearly.

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My bandmates get on my case about it all the time. My drummer (who happens to be my roommate and has to deal with all the new gear going in and out of our dining room on a regular basis) has a habit of taking bets on how long I'll keep an item before getting sick of it and moving on. I also happened to make the mistake of telling my parents how much I've spent on gear in the last year the last time I visited them and my dad nearly had an aneurysm...

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    You and your silly rack mount. Don't worry, my parents freaked out when they heard about how much I've spent on my pedalboard. My guitarist and I are both gear nerds and we live together. There's constantly a flow of shipping boxes in and out.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Haha... Rackmount's all gone now, bro.

No worries, I'm sure I'll try to build it all back up in the next couple months or so...

7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I used to be just like that! Insane with gear. Always buying and selling. The quest for the ultimate bass tone always changed and never ended. When my wife had a baby, that ended everything. I quit my band, (for other reasons as well), and stopped the insanity, so now I just play every once in a while with the gear I have. My last purchase was a 2006 C.O.Y. Rickenbacker Amber Fireglo for my daughter because that's her birth year. That going to wait for her to be about 16 or so.

Of course, I'm craving to start the insanity again!

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Not crazy, but my wife does get nervous every once in a while over me potentially trading her and the pets .

9. yah my friends and family are like "why do you need that many basses for?? You only can play one at a time!" and that aggravated the **** outta me!!!!!!!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. Pretty much all of 'em. I don't sell much (see profile).

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Not really. My guitarist is WORSE than I am. He is CONSTANTLY buying amps. My drummer has quite a few vintage sets too, so he can't say much.